Strategic Policies 2013 version development
This page describes the process that led to the adoption of the Local Plan: Strategic Policies (2013), including links to the consultations and draft versions produced along the way. It also describes the alterations to the Local Plan: Strategic Policies (2017) now adopted to bring the document up to date and in conformity with the rest of the Local Plan.
The purpose and scope of the Local Plan: Strategic Policies and downloadable versions of the original document are available on the main Local Plan: Strategic Policies (2013) page.
Alterations to Haringey’s Local Plan: Strategic Policies
The Council adopted alterations to the Local Plan: Strategic Policies in July 2017, alongside adopting a new Development Management DPD, Site Allocations DPD and Tottenham AAP. We consulted on the draft Proposed Alterations to Haringey’s Adopted Strategic Policies (PDF, 2MB) from Monday 9 February to Friday 27 March. Details of the consultation and next steps can be found on the Development of the Strategic Policies (alterations) 2017 page.
Targets set by the Government and the Mayor of London, for things like new housing and employment levels in Haringey, have changed in response to predicted for population growth and an increase in housing and job demand.
Our changes to the council’s Strategic Policies are largely factual and reflect how the population levels of Haringey have changed in the past two years, including:
- A target of nearly 20,000 modern, high-quality new homes built by 2026, with a focus on regeneration areas in Tottenham and Wood Green
- A target to increase employment levels in Haringey by 29% during the next 20 years
- A strategy for improving Haringey’s housing estates where simple refurbishment through the Decent Homes programme is not possible
Having the right strategic policies in place is important to make sure that new developments are carefully managed, based on clear evidence. We have undertaken research to inform these policy documents. This research is in the form of reports and form what is called the evidence base. See the Evidence Base page to view the reports.
Process leading to the Local Plan: Strategic Policies 2013 version
The Local Plan: Strategic Policies was agreed by Cabinet on 12 February 2013 and adopted by Full Council on 18 March 2013.
The Local Plan: Strategic Policies is the central document in the Local Development Framework. It is the new plan for the future development of the borough up to 2026. The plan sets out how the Council will deliver a better choice of high quality design, affordable housing, better community facilities, more schools and training opportunities, improved public transport and more attractive and safer streets and parks.
Haringey's Local Plan: Strategic Policies has been through a number of stages of consultation. The outcomes from each consultation have informed the next stage of development of the document.
- Issues and Options - December 2008
- Preferred Option - June 2009
- Proposed Submission - May 2010
- Additional Regulation 27 on Fundamental Policy Changes - November 2010 (can be viewed on the Proposed Submission page)
- Core Strategy submission - March 2011
- Focused Consultation on Proposed Minor Changes - May/June 2011
- Examination in Public June/July 2011
- Fundamental Changes (CSSD 03) and Sustainability Appraisal Consultation
- Examination in Public - 22 February 2012
6th Floor River Park House
225 High Road
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required