Doing work to a listed building
You will need listed building consent from the council to demolish a statutory listed building and for any alteration or extension which would affect its character or appearance. Listed building consent is different from planning permission but the process is very similar, although it is free of cost. Please note that when a building is listed, the legislation applies to the interior, exterior and any buildings within its curtilage such as boundary walls or out buildings.
It is a criminal offence to carry out works to a listed building without prior listed building consent - even if you did not know that the building was listed.
Consent is normally needed for any repairs that include removal of historic fabric or changes to the building’s character, such as removal of historic doors, fireplaces or plasterwork or replacement of windows.
Consent is not normally needed for:
- Regular maintenance and ‘like for like’ repairs such as repainting or redecoration
- Repairs to woodwork involving piecing in new timber to match the existing
- Installing new bathroom or kitchen fittings
Applying for listed building consent
To apply for listed building consent you will need to fill in an application form which is available on the Forms and Fees page. Information about pre-application advice can be found on the Pre-application Advice Service page.
Emergency works to a listed building can be carried out without prior consent, if you can subsequently prove all of the following:
- That the works were urgently necessary in the interest of safety or health, or for the preservation of the building
- That it was not practical to secure public safety or health, or preserve the building, by works of repair, temporary support or shelter
- That the work carried out was limited to the minimum measures immediately necessary
- That detailed notice in writing justifying the carrying out the work was given to the council as soon as reasonably practical to do so
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required