Article 4 Direction for Houses in Multiple Occupation
Using a property as House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) for seven or more occupants requires planning permission is all parts of Haringey. Using a property as a small HMO with 3-6 occupants (Use Class C4), is normally permitted development, however Haringey has made an Article 4 Direction to remove the permitted development rights for change of use from dwelling houses (Use Class C3) to houses in multiple occupation (Use Class C4). The Direction came into force on the 30 November 2013, which means that planning permission will be required for this type of development.
The Article 4 Direction applies to the following wards:
- Bounds Green
- Bruce Grove
- Northumberland Park
- Noel Park
- St Ann’s
- Seven Sisters
- Tottenham Green
- Tottenham Hale
- West Green
- White Hart Lane
You can view the signed Article 4 Direction below:
- LBH Signed Article 4 Direction for HMO's (PDF, 112KB)
- Map of area covered by Article 4 direction for HMOs (PDF, 795KB)
Cabinet report and supporting appendices:
- Cabinet Report Confirmation of Article 4 Direction - 15 October 2013 (PDF, 2MB)
- Appendix 1 - Haringey UDP 2006 Policy HSG 6 Houses in Multiple Occupation (PDF, 187KB)
- Appendix 2 - HMO Research Paper - August 2012 (PDF, 2MB)
- Appendix 3 - Replacement Appendix D to Circular 9-95 General Development Consolidation Order - June 2012 (CLG PDF, 85KB)
- Appendix 4 - Other Borough HMO Planning Approaches - August 2012 (PDF, 205KB)
The consultation ran from 30 November 2012 until 11 January 2013.
- Article 4 Direction Public Notice (PDF, 204KB)
- Article 4 Direction (PDF, 302KB)
- Cabinet Report HMO Article 4 Direction - 18 September 2012 (PDF, 4MB)
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required