Article 4 Direction for Houses in Multiple Occupation
Using a property as House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) for seven or more occupants requires planning permission is all parts of Haringey. Using a property as a small HMO with 3-6 occupants (Use Class C4), is normally permitted development, however Haringey has made an Article 4 Direction to remove the permitted development rights for change of use from dwelling houses (Use Class C3) to houses in multiple occupation (Use Class C4). The Direction came into force on the 30 November 2013, which means that planning permission will be required for this type of development.
You can view the area covered by the Article 4 Direction using our interactive map. Conversion of a property into a HMO must comply with Policy DM17 of the Development Management DPD. You can find advice on applying for planning permission for an HMO on our Common Projects page.
The Article 4 Direction applies to the following wards:
- Bounds Green
- Bruce Grove
- Northumberland Park
- Noel Park
- St Ann’s
- Seven Sisters
- Tottenham Green
- Tottenham Hale
- West Green
- White Hart Lane
You can view the signed Article 4 Direction below:
- LBH Signed Article 4 Direction for HMO's (PDF, 112KB)
- Map of area covered by Article 4 direction for HMOs (PDF, 795KB)
Cabinet report and supporting appendices:
- Cabinet Report Confirmation of Article 4 Direction - 15 October 2013 (PDF, 2MB)
- Appendix 1 - Haringey UDP 2006 Policy HSG 6 Houses in Multiple Occupation (PDF, 187KB) - Please note this policy has now been superseded
- Appendix 2 - HMO Research Paper - August 2012 (PDF, 2MB)
- Appendix 3 - Replacement Appendix D to Circular 9-95 General Development Consolidation Order - June 2012 (CLG PDF, 85KB)
- Appendix 4 - Other Borough HMO Planning Approaches - August 2012 (PDF, 205KB)
The consultation ran from 30 November 2012 until 11 January 2013.
- Article 4 Direction Public Notice (PDF, 204KB)
- Article 4 Direction (PDF, 302KB)
- Cabinet Report HMO Article 4 Direction - 18 September 2012 (PDF, 4MB)
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required