Hazardous Substances Consent
This page gives details of when Hazardous Substance Consent is required and if so how to apply.
Hazardous Substance Consent is required when substances on a site are at, or in excess of the 'controlled quantity' as set out in the Planning (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 1992 as amended by the Planning (Control of Major-Accident Hazards) Regulations 2005. These Statutory Instruments are available in the external links section below.
There are application forms, notices and certificates which must be completed by the applicant. There are 3 types of consent application form:
|Application type||File type||Size|
|1. for general applications for hazardous substance consent|
|2. for applications to remove conditions or to continue consent upon partial change in control of land|
|3. for applications for Deemed Hazardous Substances Consent|
The following should also be included with the application:
- A Completed Planning Application Form (3 copies to be supplied)
- A site location plan which identifies the land to which the application relates drawn to an identified scale and showing the direction of North (3 copies to be supplied unless the application is submitted electronically), this should be at a scale of 1:1250 or 1:500, please see below for more information on site location plans
- A substance location plan (to a scale of not less than 1:2500) showing any area of the site where the substance is to be stored and showing access points (or where the substance is to be used in a manufacturing, treatment or other industrial process)
- Topographic features of the site could be indicated (on the same drawing as above)
- If the application is made because of the 500 metres rule (there is a substance within 500 metres of the site), the application must relate to all the land concerned
- The appropriate fee (see below) - please note: if you are paying by cheque please make it payable to Haringey Council and ensure that you put the site address
- Notice for Publication - in local newspaper 21 days preceding making the application (form can be found in the attached files section below)
- Notice for Posting - on site for not less than 7 days in the 21 day period immediately preceding the making of the application (available in the attached files section below)
- Ownership Certificates (available in the attached files section below)
When you submit a location plan it should:
- Show at least two named roads and surrounding buildings. The properties shown should be numbered or named to ensure that the exact location of the application site is clear.
- The application site must be edged clearly with a red line on the location plan. It should include all land necessary to carry out the proposed development (e.g. land required for access to the site from a public highway, visibility splays (access around a road junction or access, which should be free from obstruction), landscaping, car parking and open areas around buildings).
- A blue line must be drawn on the plan around any other land owned by the applicant, close to or adjoining the application site.
- All plans must be to a metric scale and any figured dimensions given in metres and a scale bar should be included.
Guidance on naming your drawings
Please ensure that the drawings you provide as part of your application should be accurately described on the drawing itself.
- For applications where no one substance exceeds twice the controlled quantity - £250
- For proposals involving the presence of a substance in excess of twice the controlled quantity - £400
- An application for the removal of conditions attached to a grant of consent or for the continuation of a consent upon partial change in ownership of the land - £200
For further information the Department for Communities and Local Government have produced a useful guide for industry. This can be found in the attached files section below. Alternatively you can contact the Development Management Team in any of the following ways:
6th Floor, River Park House
225 High Road
Tel: 020 8489 5504
|Notice of Publication - Hazardous Substances Consent.pdf||25.69 KB|
|Notice for Posting - Hazardous Substances Consent.pdf||90.99 KB|
|Certificate of Ownership - Hazardous Substances Consent.pdf||29.28 KB|
|Hazardous Substances Consent - A Guide for Industry.pdf||294.6 KB|
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required