Demolition Notices

Giving notice to the council

The Building Act 1984 requires that the Local Authority is advised in writing of any intended demolition. This applies to any demolition of the whole or part of a building. There are very limited exceptions.

It is an offence for a person to start demolition works without giving 6 weeks' notice prior to commencement and should a person commence demolition they are liable to prosecution.

Written notice to the Local Authority must specify the building, details of the works of demolition and the person undertaking the work. Also that:

  1. The occupiers of adjacent buildings have been informed, and compliance with the Party Wall Act has been achieved. Further information on the Party Wall Act (external link)
  2. The gas supply for the building has been terminated
  3. The electricity supply for the building has been terminated
  4. The water supply for the building has been terminated
  5. Drainage from the building/site will be sealed
  6. How the site will be secured following completion

Anyone who intends to demolish a building or a part of a building, whether the owner or the demolition contractor, must serve the above-mentioned notice on the council's Building Control Department informing of their intentions before demolition work starts. Demolition may not commence until the council has given permission or a period of 6 weeks has elapsed. Please note that there is a charge of £285 (no VAT) to register the intended demolition with this Authority, and an invoice will be issued following receipt of your notification.

Back to top


The only exceptions for serving a demolition notice are for buildings as follows:

  • The demolition of an internal part of a building if the building continues to be occupied
  • Buildings having an external size of less than 50m3 (this volume is less than the size of an average double garage)
  • Extensions on a larger building that consists of a domestic greenhouse, conservatory, shed or pre-fabricated garage

Back to top

Other parties to be notified

The owner or demolition contractor must also provide the following with a copy of the notice which they serve on the council.

  • The owners of any building adjacent to the building to be demolished
  • Gas Authority
  • Electricity Authority
  • Water Authority
  • Fire Authority
  • Health and Safety Executive

Back to top

What will the council do?

The Building Control Surveyors may visit the site concerned. They will also ensure that the appropriate copies of notice have been given to those mentioned in other parties to be notified of the demolition above.

When giving approval for the demolition to take place the council will require the owner/contractor to adhere to certain conditions, including:

  • Adequate shoring, repair and weather proofing of adjacent buildings
  • Removal of material or rubbish and disconnection, removal or sealing of drainage
  • The disconnection of gas, electricity and water supplies

The council gives approval by serving a counter notice on the person intending to carry out the demolition work, under Section 81 of the Building Act 1984. Failure to provide the appropriate Notice may lead to prosecution leading to a fine upon conviction of £2,000.

Back to top


Asbestos can be present in any building built or refurbished before the year 2000, and if it is disturbed it's very harmful to health.

The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 require a demolition survey to be carried out before any demolition takes place. The survey is used to locate and describe all asbestos containing materials so that they can be removed and disposed of safely before final demolition takes place (see Regulation 7 of the regulations).

See the Health and Safety Executive website (external link).

Back to top

Listed Building Consent

Any alteration of a listed building involving part or partial demolition requires formal Listed Building Consent. Unauthorised alteration is illegal and can result in prosecution.

The substantial or complete demolition of a building in a conservation area requires Conservation Area Consent.

For more information about how to make an application for Listed Building or Conservation Area Consent please see the planning application pages.

Further advice about listed buildings and conservation areas can be found on the Design and Conservation page.

Back to top

Contact Us

For more information on serving a demolition notice please contact Building Control:


Building Control
Planning, Regeneration & Economy
Level 6, River Park House
225 High Road
Wood Green
N22 8HQ

Tel 020 8489 5504

Give notice of demolition

Back to top

Page last updated:

March 9, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)