Building Regulations

What are the Building Regulations?

Building Regulations ensure the health and safety of people in and around buildings by providing functional requirements for building design and construction. In addition, the Regulations promote energy efficiency in buildings and contribute to meeting the needs of disabled people.

Builders and developers are required to obtain building control approval, an independent check that the Building Regulations have been complied with.

The Building Regulations 2010 (as amended) are the current regulations.

Please see the  Manual to the Building Regulations (PDF, 9MB).

Back to top

What is covered by Building Regulations?

The Building Regulations cover a wide range of building work from major office, shop and residential developments to small domestic works like extensions, through lounges and loft conversions.

Please see our 'Do I need Building Regulations approval?' page for information on common building projects and whether or not they require Building Regulations approval.

Approved Documents

Approved Documents offer guidance on how to comply with the regulations and cover the following aspects of construction:

Part A - Structure:

Part B - Fire Safety:

Part C - Site preparation and resistance to contaminants and moisture:

Part D - Toxic Substances:

Part E - Resistance to the passage of sound:

Part F - Ventilation:

Part G - Hygiene:

Part H - Waste Disposal:

Part J - Combustion appliances and fuel storage systems:

Part K - Protection from falling, collision and impact:

Part L - Conservation of fuel and power:

Part M - Access to facilities and buildings:

Part O - Overheating

Part P - Electrical Safety:

Part Q - Security:

Part R - Electronic communications networks:

Part S - Infrastructure for the charging of electric vehicles

Compliance Guides:

Approved Document to support Regulation 7:

Further guidance can be found on our Useful Downloads page.

Back to top

Building Regulations Updates

All changes and proposed changes to the Building Regulations are regularly put into our Building Regulations Updates, this can be found in the attached files section below.

Regular information about changes to the Building Regulations is also available from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG). Please see the external links section below to view the circulars.

Back to top

What happens if I contravene Building Regulations?

The Building Regulations can be contravened by not following the building control procedures set out for handling your building work, and/or by carrying out building work which does not comply with the requirements contained in the Building Regulations.

Haringey has a general duty to enforce the Building Regulations in its area and will seek to do so by informal means wherever possible.

If a person carrying out building work contravenes the Building Regulations, the local authority may decide to take them to the Magistrates’ Court where they could be fined level 5 on the standard scale (unlimited) for the contravention, and £50 for each day the contravention continues (section 35 of the Building Act 1984). This action will usually be taken against the builder or main contractor, although proceedings must be taken within 6 months of the offence (section 127 of the Magistrates’ Courts Act 1980).

Alternatively, or in addition, Haringey may serve an enforcement notice on the owner requiring them to alter or remove work which contravenes the Building Regulations (section 36 of the 1984 Act). If the owner does not comply with the notice the local authority has the power to undertake the work itself and recover the costs of doing so from the owner. Although an enforcement notice cannot be served on you after the expiration of 12 months from the date of completion of the building work, this does not affect a local authority’s (or any other person’s) right to apply to the Courts for an injunction for the same purpose.

Back to top

Contact us

Should you be in any doubt as to whether your proposals would require consent or would like further information about Building Regulations, please do not hesitate to contact us:

Building Control
Level 6, River Park House
225 High Road
Wood Green
N22 8HQ

Tel 020 8489 5504

Make a general enquiry

Back to top


Page last updated:

March 9, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)