Building Control Advice and Guidance

Haringey Building Control is keen to help you whilst you carry out your building project, and to support you with good guidance and advice during your development. There are a number of ways you can access Haringey Building Control guidance.

Building Control Pre-application Advice service

Haringey Building Control can offer pre-application advice before you apply for Planning Permission, or our Building Control services.

If you wish to attend our office, our Surveyors will be happy to discuss your project, without charge, with a view to discuss the following:

  • Provide an early assessment of any structural issues you may need to consider
  • Provide background research about any previous work that has been carried out on the property and advice on how this might affect the works
  • Offer an overview of your project, and advice on drainage and means of escape

You can call our offices on 020 8489 5504 to request an appointment, between 9 - 10.30am or between 3.30 - 5pm.

We are also able to offer an onsite service where we will attend your property or site and discuss your project. This service can advise you on the feasibility of your project at an early stage before you appoint an architect or a builder. There is a £110/hour+VAT fee for the on-site advice service and a written record of our advice will be provided after the meeting.

The service we provide is part of a wider range of pre-application advice services offered by the council. The Haringey Building Control 'pre-app' cannot advise you about how likely your proposal is to get Planning Permission, but one of our other pre-application advice services will be able to do this. You can also request that a Building Control officer attends your Planning pre-application advice meeting, so you can get the benefit of a combination of Planning and Building Control advice.

To explore the full range of our Pre-application planning advice service, please see our pre-application advice pages.

Request a pre-application site visit

Back to top

Building Control Advice on Home Improvements

If you are planning a home improvement project, for practical advice please take a look at the Local Authority Building Control (LABC) new site - Front Door (external link) which offers lots of useful information on what you and your contractor should be considering in order to carry out a high quality, effective build.

For more assistance with particular aspects of your project, you may find it helpful to visit our webpage for further guidance, where we have a number of additional guidance documents which address a number of common issues encountered whilst carrying out works to a property, and can help you when carrying out building works.

Back to top

Contact us

To speak to Building Control call 020 8489 5504. Please note that our Surveyors are only available to take telephone calls between 9-10.30am and 3.30-5pm Monday to Friday.

Outside of normal office hours you can leave inspection requests on 020 8489 5504 - but please remember to leave your contact details and the address the request relates to.

Back to top


Page last updated:

March 9, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)