Haringey’s Streetspace Plans
- The Bids
- Tranche 2
- Next Steps
- Background reading
Haringey has been working in partnership with residents, stakeholders, the Mayor of London, Transport for London (TfL) and the Department for Transport (DfT) on a transport and highways response to the COVID-19 crisis to enable social distancing in our town centres and outside our schools, providing new cycleways and introducing low traffic neighbourhoods. This will help active and safe travel whilst the public transport system cannot operate at full capacity due to social distancing.
The council has been working on proposals to give people safe alternatives to travel around the borough through ‘active travel’ such as walking and cycling. Haringey has submitted 18 bids to TfL to access a share of the £45m London Streetspace Plan fund (external link). The bids are listed below.
The bids were submitted under the following London Streetspace Plan categories:
- Pavement Widening - to enable social distancing in town centres, on approaches to stations, outside schools etc.
- Temporary Cycleways - to improve the cycle network
- Low Traffic Neighbourhoods - to protect neighbourhoods from rat running, traffic, air pollution and road danger
- School Streets - to enable social distancing, tackling air pollution and providing safer walking and cycling routes to schools
See a map of the borough showing all the bids here:
Bid 1 - 19 retrospective funding bids - £153,932 has been approved by TfL:
- 19 retrospective funding bids for projects which were already installed by the council for ‘pavement pinch points’ (PDF, 2MB)
- 32 Highgate High Street- Tesco
- 126-138 Muswell Hill Broadway - M&S
- 390 Muswell Hill Broadway - Waitrose
- 105 Turnpike Lane N8 - Post Office
- 35-39 The Broadway N8 - Waitrose
- 71 Crouch End Hill N8 - M&S
- Endymion Road
- 28 Topsfield Parade N8 - Post Office
- Green Lanes - Savers
- Grand Parade - Iceland
- High Street N22 - Savers
- West Green Road - Sainsburys
- West Green Road - Tesco
- West Green Road - Food Centre
- West Green Road - Halal Market
- West Green Road - Sainsburys
- High St N8 - Tesco
- High St N8 - Post office
- Lordship Lane - Tesco
|Pavement widening scheme||Status|
|Bid 2a - Aylmer Parade N2 (PDF, 429KB)||£49,942 has been approved by TfL|
|Bid 2b - Green Lanes (PDF, 553KB)||Not awarded funding from the first round of TfL’s Streetspace funding. We will resubmit for alternative funding opportunities|
|Bid 2c - High Street N8 (PDF, 393KB)||£175,008 has been approved by TfL|
|Bid 2d - High Street N6 (PDF, 419KB)||Not awarded funding from the first round of TfL’s Streetspace funding. We will resubmit for alternative funding opportunities|
|Bid 2e - Lordship Lane (PDF, 478KB)||Not awarded funding from the first round of TfL’s Streetspace funding. We will resubmit for alternative funding opportunities|
|Bid 2f - Muswell HIll (PDF, 433KB)|
|Bid 2g - Turnpike Lane (PDF, 403KB)|
|Bid 2h - West Green Road (PDF, 505KB)|
Bid 3 - Crouch End Pavement widening: Not awarded funding from the first round of TfL’s Streetspace funding. We will resubmit for alternative funding opportunities
|Temporary Cycleway scheme||Status|
|Bid 4 - Emergency Cycleway Improvements: submitted to DfT under its Emergency Active Travel Fund (PDF, 451KB)||£100,000 has been approved by DfT|
|Bid 5 - Cycle Superhighway 1 (CS1) extension into Enfield (PDF, 369KB)||£219,876 has been approved by TfL|
|Bid 6 - Cycle Superhighway 1 (CS1) improvements (PDF, 343KB)||£384,276 has been approved by TfL|
|Bid 7 - Cycle Future Route 2: CFR2 (PDF, 431KB)|
|Bid 8 - Quietway 10: QW10 (PDF, 201KB)|
|Bid 9 - Finsbury Park to Wood Green (PDF, 430KB)|
|Bid 10 - Crouch End Cycleway (PDF, 803KB)||£46,251 has been approved by TfL|
|Low Traffic Neighbourhood scheme||Status|
|Bid 11 - Bruce Grove/Tottenham Low Traffic Neighbourhood (PDF, 414KB)|
|Bid 12 - St Ann’s/Green Lanes Low Traffic Neighbourhood (PDF, 415KB)|
Bid 13 - 11 school streets: £110,000 has been approved by TfL
- Rokesly Primary School - N8 8NH
- Welbourne Primary School - N15 4EA
- Alexandra Primary School - N22 6UH
- St Paul's Primary School - N22 7SZ
- St Gildas Junior School - N8 9EP
- Harris Primary Academy: Coleraine Park - N17 9XT
- Tiverton Primary School - N15 6SP
- Holy Trinity School - N17 9EJ
- Bruce Grove Primary School - N17 6UH
- Highgate Primary School - N6 4ED
- Harris Academy Primary: Ashley Road, Tottenham - N17 9LN
Bid 14 - Additional School Streets: Not awarded funding from the first round of TfL’s Streetspace funding. We will resubmit for alternative funding opportunities
- Coldfall Primary - N10 1HS
- Risley Avenue Primary School - N17 7AB
- St Francis De Sales - N17 8AZ
- Chestnuts Primary - N15 3AS
- Campsbourne School - N8 7AF
- The Highgate Junior School (independent) - N6 4PL
- Lancasterian primary - N17 8NN
- Crowland Primary School/Gladesmore Secondary - N15 6UY
- Earlsmead Primary School - N15 4PW
- West Green School - N15 3RT
- St Anns CE Primary - N15 5JG
|Bid 15 - Cycle parking (PDF, 243KB)|
|Bid 16 - Speed management schemes (PDF, 339KB)||Not awarded funding from the first round of TfL’s Streetspace funding. We will resubmit for alternative funding|
|Bid 17 - Removing footway parking (PDF, 344KB)|
|Bid 18 - Roundway / Lordship Lane / Downhills Way pedestrian improvement scheme (PDF, 387KB)|
TfL and the DfT Emergency Active Travel Funding
TfL and the DfT have now released more funding to deliver Low Traffic Neighbourhood, School Streets and Cycleways. This funding is £20m. The deadline for submissions was Friday 24 July 2020. We expect to hear the outcome later this summer.
We have resubmitted all the unsuccessful first round TfL Streetspace bids with the exception of bid 2 - additional pavement widening, bid 17 - removing footway parking and bid 18 - Roundway/Lordship Lane/Downhills Way pedestrian improvement scheme. These bids did not meet the criteria for funding this round but we will resubmit these three bids for alternative future funding opportunities.
We have also submitted a new bid for a Low Traffic Neighbourhood in Bounds Green.
We launched an interactive Commonplace Map (external link) which allows residents and business owners to identify cycle routes and low traffic neighbourhoods. The consultation opened on 2 June and closes on 26 June 2020.
Thank you to those who have already sent us suggestions for active travel measures. We are very grateful for the detailed and thoughtful suggestions. These have helped inform our approach. We will not be able to deliver everything and what we deliver will be dependent on funding.
Our focus is on the urgent need to help tackle COVID-19 so our priority is temporary measures to support social distancing, but some of the temporary measures could be made permanent. We will also use suggestions put forward here to inform future bids to funding opportunities and our longer-term ambitions in our emerging Walking and Cycling Action Plan which will be fully consulted on later in 2020.
All the above bids have been submitted to TfL and the DfT. Bidding for TfL’s funding closed on Friday 19 June 2020. We will update this page in due course with the results of the funding bids as appropriate. We will continue to pursue other funding opportunities which may arise.
- 25 June 2020 - Press Release: Active travel bids get the green light
- 10 June 2020 - Press Release: Back our Streetspace bid
- 2 June 2020 - Press Release: Active travel to aid social distancing
- Haringey’s Transport Strategy 2018
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required