Many schools experience parking, traffic congestion, road safety and air quality issues immediately outside their school. Our School Streets programme aims to address these.
What is a School Street?
A School Street is where a walk and cycle zone is created outside a school during drop-off and pick-up times. Only people walking and cycling, and those with vehicle permits are eligible to enter the zone.
The School Street creates a safer, more pleasant environment outside the school where children, parents and teachers can travel to school by active modes of travel without the air pollution and road safety risks caused by motor traffic.
Why are we doing this?
The council is committed to tackling our climate emergency and the escalating levels of pollution at peak times on our road network. Childhood obesity in the borough is also one of the highest in London.
The council adopted the School Streets plan (PDF, 509KB) in November 2020 to address these issues and support the promise to improve the lives of our residents as described in the Borough Plan 2019-23 (PDF, 2MB).
The School Streets will create a safe space for people outside a school at drop-off and pick-up times, bringing the following benefits to the community:
- reducing traffic volumes outside the school to reduce emissions and improve air quality
- reducing parking problems outside the school to improve road safety
- making it safer to walk, cycle and scooter to school, children will benefit from increased physical activity on their journey to and from school
- providing more space for safe social distancing in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Learn more about School Streets:
- How does a School Street work?
- School Street locations
- Applying for an exemption permit
- Measuring success
- School Streets: Have your say
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required