Car Clubs in Haringey
What is a car club?
Car Clubs provide the convenience of using a vehicle without having to pay for upkeep, licensing, insurance or residents' parking charges. Not only do car clubs help to ease parking problems they also help reduce CO2 emissions. Car club users often give up owning a first or second car on joining; others will choose not to purchase a car if there is a car club vehicle located conveniently close to home. Each car club car can effectively replace ten private cars by providing a convenient alternative.
There are two types of car club service currently operating in Haringey:-
- Round trip car club services operated by Zipcar and City Car Club: These vehicles are picked up from and returned to dedicated parking bays. There are currently 74 such car club vehicles in Haringey, 71 operated by Zipcar and 3 operated by City Car Club
- One-way (flexible) car club service operated by DriveNow: These vehicles can be used for one-way journeys and can be picked up and parked in any legal parking bay in the borough. Haringey is one of four London boroughs that host a fleet of 300+ DriveNow vehicles including
- BMW 1 Series
- Mini 3 & 5 Door
- Mini Convertable
- Electric, zero emission BMW i3s
Current Car Club vehicle locations
Haringey's Car Club scheme now offers Zipcar members access to 80 on-street vehicles which include cars, people carriers and vans. There are also three car club vehicles, operated by City Car Club, located at the New River Village, in New River Avenue.
The car club vehicles will be parked in dedicated on-street car club parking bays - please see list and map of locations below:
Please note, cars may not always be available due to maintenance, seasonal fleet adjustments etc. If you have any specific questions regarding the availability of a car club vehicle at a location, please check with the relevant scheme operator below.
Joining a car club
Most car club vehicles in Haringey are operated by Zipcar. There are also three car club vehicles operated by City Car Club located at the New River Village, in New River Avenue. Before using these vehicles you will need to register with the operators.
Zipcar membership costs £59.50 for one year. However, to celebrate the expansion of the car club scheme, Zipcar is offering Haringey residents half-price membership and £30 free driving credit. To take advantage of this offer please quote 'HAR2011' when you apply to join and are asked for a coupon. Further information is available on the Zipcar website (external link) or you can telephone Zipcar on 0333 240 9000.
The simple steps to join the car club and book a vehicle are:
- register with Zipcar to receive your Zipcard
- book your car out for any duration from an hour upwards
- swipe your Zipcard on the windscreen card reader to unlock the car (or use Zipcar’s free to download app). You then take the keys from the special holder in the glove compartment
- return the car to its dedicated parking bay when you are finished
Not only is it easy to use but Zipcar offers a choice of vehicles to members ranging from VW Up, VW Golf, Audi A3 to VW Touran People Carriers and Transporter vans.
Contact Zipcar for membership detail and usage costs:
You have to be a member of the City Car Club to use the three car club vehicles located at the New River Village, New River Avenue, N8 7QB.
Contact City Car Club for membership details and usage costs:
- Web City Car Club (external link)
- Tel 0845 330 1234 or 0113 394 3999
- Email email@example.com
There are three main differences between DriveNow’s one-way car sharing services and the round trip car club services operating across Haringey.
- You do not need to make a reservation
- There is no fixed return location and no fixed return time, so you can take the vehicle on one-way trips
- You can park the vehicle in any legal on-street parking space in Haringey, including resident, pay and display and shared use bays (with the exception of the following exclusion areas where DriveNow vehicles cannot be parked: Dukes Avenue, Fortis Green Road, Muswell Hill Broadway, Parkland Avenue, Princess Road, Queens Avenue, Tottenham Lane, and in the vicinity of Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. You can also leave the vehicle in any legal parking space in Hackney, Islington and the southern half of Waltham Forest
There is a one off lifetime membership fee of £29 to use DriveNow's service. Members can then choose to drive by the minute or purchase an hourly package (around £8 an hour) or a 2 and 3 day package. 30 day Savings Packages with 125, 250 or 400 minutes are also available starting at £32. Fuel, parking, insurance and a generous mileage allowance are all included in the price.
Once registered, you can find and reserve a car, either using the DriveNow App from your smartphone / tablet or computer, or via phone, 01246 506 269.
Please visit the Zipcar website (external link) if you require any further information or have any questions about the Car Club Scheme or you can telephone Zipcar on 0333 240 9000.
City Car Club
If you would like to recommend new locations for car club vehicles in Haringey, or have any queries in regards to car club bay markings and signs, please contact Customer Services on 020 8489 1335, or use the web form:
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required