Road closures for street parties

Street parties are:

  • for residents and neighbours only
  • self organised
  • only publicised to residents
  • where no selling is involved and music is incidental, that do not require a licence

Organising a small, private street party is very simple and generally doesn’t include activities that need a licence. 

Before you apply, please read the important information below.

Fees and charges

We want to make it as easy as possible for you to hold a street party so have waived the application fee to apply for a street party road closure!

Back to top

Dates and times

Application for the road closure must be made at least 6 weeks in advance of your event date.

The road should preferably be a cul-de-sac or quiet residential street and be closed until no later than:

  • midnight on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays before a bank holiday; and
  • 10pm on Sundays and bank holidays

The event should preferably finish 1.5 hours before these times in order for organisers to clear the road before it re-opens.

Main roads, bus routes, bus diversion routes and blue routes (emergency vehicle routes) cannot be closed for street parties.

In the event of conflicting road works in the vicinity of the street party the council reserves the right to refuse the application.

Back to top

Access requirements

Access must be provided for pedestrian and emergency vehicles at all times.

The layout should be such that a clear route along the road could readily be made available for the passage of emergency vehicles.

The minimum available width for vehicles should be 3.25 metres and 1.5 metres for pedestrians. Fire hydrants and hydrant marker posts should be kept clear of obstruction.

Back to top

Traffic signage

The closed street needs to be indicated with appropriate temporary signage in accordance with the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 (external link).

‘Road closed’ signs and ‘no waiting’/traffic cones can be obtained from hire shops or purchased from road sign suppliers.

All junctions adjoining the closed section of road should be signed. Diversions should be appropriately placed to direct traffic along alternative routes if necessary.

Back to top


The organisers are advised to obtain public liability insurance from a reputable insurer with a limit of indemnity of no less than £5 million for each claim.

Insurance is more necessary if staging, maypoles or bouncy castles are used. No damage is to be caused to the carriageway, footway, street trees or street furniture. The street is to be left in a clean and tidy condition.

Back to top


If you want to sell alcohol or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or charge money for your event, you will need a Temporary Event Notice which is a type of temporary licence and costs £21.

Back to top

Publicity and public consultation

Before submitting a street party application, the applicant must:

Deliver a letter or flyer to all residents within the proposed closed section of road to inform of the intention to close the road and for what purpose.

Seek agreement with the majority of residents within the closed section of road and obtain signatures providing evidence to that effect using the street party resident survey form found at the bottom of the Street Parties Application Form (PDF, 213KB). At least 70% of residents must agree to the road closure.

Back to top

Coronation street parties 

If you're planning to have a street party or event on a public road, you'll need to get permission to close the road.

We are now accepting street party applications for the coronation of His Majesty The King on 6 - 8 May. You will need to submit your application for a road closure by 26 March 2023.

Street parties that close the road must only be for those living on that street.

Please include a plan which shows the section of road you are closing and the diversion route.

If you are planning an event that involves the sale of alcohol, you will require a licence. Find all details on our temporary event notice page.

For further guidance on running coronation street parties and events, visit:

Back to top

How to apply

If you would like to apply to host a street party, please complete the application below and send it to  

Please include a plan which shows the section of road you are closing and the diversion route. If you are selling alcohol, you will also need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice.

Back to top

Further info

Further guidance for organising street parties can be found on the Community and Local Government website (external link).

Also visit the Streets Alive (external link) and The Big Lunch (external link) websites for more helpful tips, advice and support for organising a successful event.

Back to top


Page last updated:

February 14, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)