Road closures for community events and commercial events

Festival crowd

For community and commercial events requiring a road closure, a traffic management order will be required and traffic management measures will need to be provided.


The council will charge the organiser £2,080 for this service, for which the council will:

  • provide advice on the traffic management required
  • liaise with the emergency services, TfL and London Buses
  • visit site with organiser (if necessary)
  • create and advertise the traffic management order for the event

The organiser will also incur all costs associated with the provision of traffic management arrangements for the road closure (including hiring of signage, barriers and staffing).

In some cases the organiser may wish the council to arrange and carry out the traffic management for the event. In this case the council will charge the organiser £3,000 plus the traffic management costs. These costs are payable before the event starts.

If the traffic management requirements are to be outsourced to a contractor all plans and designs must be submitted along with a risk assessment and method statement, before consent of the event can be given.

Back to top


You will need a Temporary Event Notice which is a type of temporary licence and costs £21 if you want to:

  • sell alcohol or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or
  • charge money for your event

For more information on licensing issues go to our licensing pages or contact the Licensing Team by emailing or call 020 8489 1335

Back to top


As there is a legal and consultative process to be undertaken, at least three month's notice before the closure is required, however please note that approval is subject to road works programmed in the borough.

In most cases a meeting will have to take place between the council and the event organiser.

Back to top

How to apply

Download and complete the community and commercial events road closure application form (Word, 69KB) and return to the council either via email to or post to:

Traffic Management Group
Level 1 South - River Park House
225 High Road
Wood Green
N22 8HQ

Back to top


Page last updated:

January 19, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)