Walls and Fences

Generally the walls and fences that surround property and fields are erected and maintained by the land owner.

These are erected to provide security, privacy and to mark boundaries between different landowners.

Haringey Council, as a local authority, will maintain and repair:

  • Walls supporting the structure of the highway - these are called Highway Retaining Walls.
  • Walls retaining land that has been excavated in cutting to form a highway parapet wall on bridges.
  • Walls providing a safety barrier for example a steep drop at the other side of the wall.

A garden fence up to two metres in height can be built without permission. Anything more than two metres in height will require planning permission.

More Information can be found on the Planning Portal (external link).

Contact us

If you want to report a wall or fence in a state of disrepair please contact us providing the relevant details.

Please note: You should only report a problem if it is causing an obstruction to the public path or highway.

Customer Services Team

Page last updated:

September 21, 2022

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)