Outlined below are the steps the council is taking in delivering a Liveable Neighbourhood in Crouch End, and how we are progressing.
- Pre-engagement: Establishing stakeholders, developing relationships, communicating the project brief and understanding of the priorities across the stakeholder groups - Completed January 2019
- Community engagement: Engaging residents, businesses, and visitors to communicate the project brief and understand the priorities across the community - Completed January 2019
- Define scope: Defining the scope based on the early stakeholder and community engagement feedback and gather / produce baseline data - Completed
- Workshops: Meeting with residents and stakeholders in co-design workshops to feedback and assess the design ideas - Completed April 2019
- Trials: Trial road closures over a two-week period to explore elements of the proposals and enable the community to further input into the design - Completed October 2019
- Strategic Design Survey: A questionnaire seeking to capture further thoughts and views from the community on what interventions they would like to see in the area - Completed January 2020 (report completed March 2020)
- Concept options: Development of proposals - February to April 2020
- TfL funding approval: TfL project review through Gateway 2 process - May-July 2020
- Public engagement: Consultation on the proposals - Summer 2020. Please note: we will monitor the COVID-19 situation and evaluate the programme once further details are known
- Design development: Developed design for the preferred proposals
- Detailed design and tender: Detailed design preferred proposals and undertake competitive tender process
- Construction: Build on-site with consideration to construction impacts
- Review: Three-year review of implemented schemes.
What’s happened so far
- November 2018 to January 2019: We asked the community what they wanted improved in the area, via an online survey and face to face drop-in events. Further details are available on the Reports and minutes page.
- April 2019: We held co-design workshops with members of the community where we ran through the results from the early-engagement and our suggestions for improving the area based on people’s feedback. See the Reports and minutes page for further details.
- May to July 2019: We continued to engage with target community groups and key stakeholders, such as Crouch End town centre businesses, schools and disability groups.
- July 2019: Haringey hosted a Liveable Neighbourhoods Conference (external link) on Wednesday 10 July 2019 at Alexandra Palace. This was organised by Landor and in collaboration with Transport for London. Cllr Joseph Ejiofor, Leader of Haringey Council, and Zina Etheridge, Chief Executive, Haringey Council, welcomed expert speakers from around the UK, including Will Norman, London's Walking and Cycling commissioner, to show how the council is working with local people to create Liveable Crouch End, an attractive and healthy neighbourhood for residents, visitors and businesses. The conference was attended by industry peers and community stakeholders involved with the project.
- October 2019: A two week trial was undertaken to understand the traffic flow implications, raise the profile of the project and seek community views
- January 2020: We invited the community to respond to a Strategic Design Survey so we could capture further thoughts and views on what interventions they would like to see in the area.
These are the first steps in a long and comprehensive dialogue with the community to achieve a real shift away from the dominant use of the private car.
The concept designs are now being developed, building on the engagement undertaken to date, and we are testing the feasibility of different options, including using the community's feedback from the Strategic Design Survey.
We continue to engage with target groups in the community who may be affected more significantly by the designs, such as schools, businesses and disability groups. If you would like to speak with us about a specific area of the scheme please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Public consultation on the proposed designs will follow in Summer 2020, when everyone in the area will get a chance to comment again on the proposals and tell us what they think. These timescales will be reviewed in the light of COVID-19 and we continue to monitor the situation.
To stay informed on Liveable Crouch End, please contact the team directly.