We are pleased to announce that we are accepting new applications now.
Car Free Day 2021
Wednesday 22 September 2021 is Car Free day (external link).
Consider planning an event - these can take place at the weekend.
- What are Play Streets?
- After you've applied
- Posters and publicity information
- Information sessions
- Further information
A Play Street gives children the chance to play safely in the streets where they live.
- increase the sense of community by bringing neighbours together
- allow children to play near their home
- give children the space to play energetically and promote activity and friendships
You can apply to have:
- regular Play Street events, such as once a month
- Play Street special events on national campaign days like:
- Clean Air Day
- Car Free Day
Ideally, the street is a:
- quiet residential road
Unsuitable streets are:
- main roads
- bus routes
- bus diversion routes
- emergency vehicle routes
Please check our list of unsuitable streets (PDF, 81 KB) before applying.
Street closure times
Streets can only be closed:
- for up to 3 hours
- during daylight hours (for regular events times can be changed depending on the time of year)
- on the days and times granted on the application
Consult your neighbours
For application approval, we must see that at least 60% of the street residents support the application.
Before applying, you must:
- send a letter or email to your neighbours explaining what you’d like to do (template included in the application pack)
- complete a resident survey form for each household in the closed section of road (included in the application pack)
Recruit friends and neighbours
Make sure you have friends and neighbours to help on the day. You'll need people to stay at each end of the street and advise drivers about the street closure.
To give us time to process your application, you must apply at least 6 weeks before your first event.
There is no charge for this application.
To apply to have a road closed for a regular or special Play Street event, please download the information pack and application form:
You can only apply for 1 ad hoc street closure a year. If you want to have several special event closures, please apply for them at the same time.
Return by email the:
- completed application form
- consultation evidence
- list of the households you have spoken with
- map of the proposed area
We will check the details and let you know if we need more information.
After applying there is a 21-day consultation period. This gives time for members of the public to submit comments either in support of or against the application.
If your application is approved, we will provide you with:
- road closed traffic signs
- high visibility waistcoats
- lanyards for all the stewards
- street closure instructions
There is no charge for these.
You will need to store these and use them at all events.
We have created some leaflets and posters for you to advertise your event.
You can download these or contact us for printed copies.
Session for parents
Please email us if you’re interested in a free information session for parents.
The information session covers:
- the benefits of street play
- simple steps to make your street more 'playable' and friendly
- how to make an application
- consulting with neighbours – dealing with objections and concerns
- stewarding, safety and other practicalities
Session for volunteers
If useful, we can meet your volunteer team before the first event and advise on how road closures must be carried out.
Please contact us if you’d like to arrange this.
The following organisations have useful information on Play Streets:
- Playing Out (external link)
- London Play (external link)
020 8489 5351
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required