Skip/building materials licence
- Skip licence application for a builder, contractor, or householder
- Skip hire company registration form
- Skip hire company licence application
- Licence conditions
To place a skip on the road you must have a licence under The Highways Act (1980). If you do not, you may be prosecuted.
A licence is granted at our discretion. Consideration is given to factors such as:
- density of traffic
- width of carriageway
You can apply online or by post.
To apply online please complete the form:
Payment will be taken online. You will need a debit or credit card.
To apply by post please download, print, complete and return the form with payment:
You must send your application at least 5 working days before you need the licence.
Skip companies can register with us in order to arrange licences on behalf of their customers.
To register please:
- Download and complete the skip company registration form (PDF, 90 KB).
- Upload your form and relevant supporting documents to our online form.
See which skip companies are registered with us.
Please email us:
- the location
- date the licence is required
- your allocated account number provided when you registered
We aim to:
- acknowledge your email within 2 working days of receipt
- process your application within a further 5 working days
Please see our list of fees.
Full information on the positioning of skips and how materials can be put on the road is supplied when your licence is granted.
Length of licence
The maximum duration of a skip/materials licence is 28 days. If one is needed for longer, you must make another application.
Parking bay suspension
If you specifically want space reserved for placing a skip and /or building materials within a parking bay, a suspension is required.
Any damage caused to the road is inspected by our highways team who will recover damages.
Our enforcement team will take action should:
- the skip or materials not have the appropriate licence
- any of the conditions of permission be broken
General licence conditions
You must follow these conditions:
- only one skip is allowed on-site at any one time
- the skip supplier is responsible for ensuring:
- a skip does not obstruct other road users
- all appropriate regulations are followed
- no skips or materials are to be put on the road until the licence is granted
- a builder's skip shall be clearly marked with the owner's name and telephone number
- skips and materials must be properly lit during the hours of darkness
Skip licence conditions
For full licence conditions, please see:
- must be lit during the hours of darkness
- must not be larger than 5 metres by 2 metres
- should be always filled in a safe and controlled manner
- should not be overfilled
- should be removed as soon as practical after it’s full
- must not be placed on the pavement or in front gardens (damage is caused to the pavement by skip lorries)
- should be covered over when unattended to prevent unauthorised dumping/overfilling
Materials licence conditions
You must follow these conditions:
- materials must not exceed:
- length: 3 metres
- breadth: 2 metres
- height: 1 metre
- rainwater must be allowed to drain into the public gullies/drains – a 2-inch diameter pipe or scaffold plank should be placed in the gutter
- loose materials must be prevented from spreading across the road
- materials must not be stored on the pavement
- materials (such as cement) must not be mixed directly on the pavement or road – a board must be in place
- the licence holder is responsible for making sure the materials are lit during the hours of darkness
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required