Important information regarding resident permit renewals: following the recent permit price changes (implemented on 3 April 2018), all residents renewing their permits have to re-apply as if they are a new applicant. We apologise for the inconvenience.
Skip/Building Materials Licence
To place a skip on the highway without first applying for and being granted a licence is an offence under The Highways Act and may result in a prosecution.
The skip owner (supplier) has the responsibility to ensure that skips are positioned on the highway in such a way that they do not cause an obstruction to other road users. The supplier is responsible for ensuring that all appropriate regulations are adhered to.
Note: It is the responsibility of the householder or builder/contractor to obtain the highway permit.
- Changes to how we issue skip licences
- How to apply
- General conditions of permission
- Conditions of permission for skip licence
- Conditions of permission for material licence
Skip companies can now register with us in order to arrange licences on behalf of their customers. This makes the licensing process much easier and will avoid any delays in the processing of requests.
Please download the skip company application form. Once completed please scan and send your form and relevant supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Skip hire company applying for licence
Your email will need to confirm the location and date the licence is required and we will aim to acknowledge your email within two working days of receipt and process your application within a further five working days. You will also need to ensure your email contains your allocated account number which we will provide to you when you are registered with us.
You can apply online or by post for a Highway Licence.
- You can apply online at GOV.UK - Skip Licence (external link)
- Download, print and complete the form in the attached files section below. Please send your application by post at least five working days before the date you want the Highway Licence to commence
- Please send completed application forms with your payment to:
- London Borough of Haringey
PO Box 55235
- London Borough of Haringey
Please note: a licence can be valid for a fixed period of 28 days. For longer periods additional applications should be made. Only one skip will be allowed on site at any one time, except in exceptional circumstances.
Please note that the licence fees are non-refundable.
- No skips or materials are to be deposited on the highway until permission has been obtained.
- A builders skip shall be clearly marked with the owners name and telephone number.
- Skips and materials must be properly lighted during the hours of darkness.
- Full information regarding positioning of skips and the manner in which materials may be deposited on the highway is obtainable with this application, can be supplied upon request and will be provided with a licence when issued.
- Builders' skips and building materials (including containers) must not be deposited on the public highway until a licence has been obtained.
- If you specifically require space to be reserved for locating a skip and /or building materials within a Parking Bay, a suspension will be required.
A licence will only be granted at the discretion of the council. Consideration will be given to factors such as the density of traffic and width of carriageway.
Any damage caused to the Highway will be inspected by the council's Highways team who will recover damages accordingly.
The Enforcement team will take action should the skip or materials not have the appropriate license, or should there be any contraventions of the conditions of permission.
- It is the owners responsibility to ensure that the skip is lit during the hours of darkness.
- The skip should be filled in a safe and controlled manner at all times
- The skip should not be overfilled.
- The skip should be removed as soon as practical after it has been filled.
- The skip must not be placed on the public footway or placed in front gardens (damage is caused to the footway by skip lorries).
- The skip should be covered over when unattended to prevent unauthorised dumping/overfilling.
- A licence will not be granted for materials exceeding:
- Length: 3 metres
- Breadth: 2 metres
- Height: 1 metre.
- Provision must be made to allow rainwater etc, to drain into the public gullies/drains. A 2 inch diameter pipe or a scaffold plank should be placed in the gutter
- Precautions should be taken to prevent loose materials spreading across the carriageway
- Materials must not be stored on the public footway
- Materials must not be mixed directly on the public highway; a board must be in place. No mixing is to take place on the footway
- It is the licence holder's responsibility to ensure that the materials are lit during the hours of darkness
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required