Skip/building materials licence

To place a skip on the road you must have a licence under The Highways Act (1980). If you do not, you may be prosecuted. 

A licence is granted at our discretion. Consideration is given to factors such as density of traffic and the width of the carriageway. 

Builder, contractor or householder licence application  

You can apply online for a skip licence to use in Haringey through GOV.UK: 

You will need a debit or credit card to purchase a licence.

You can also apply by post by using the application form. You will need to send payment with the form.

You must send your application at least 5 working days before you need the licence. 


Charges for skip licences can be found on our list of fees.

Please note that the licence fees are non-refundable

Licence conditions 

Full information on the positioning of skips and how materials can be put on the road is supplied when your licence is granted. 

Length of licence  

The maximum duration of a skip/materials licence is 28 days. If one is needed for longer, you must make another application.  

Parking bay suspension 

If you specifically want space reserved for placing a skip and /or building materials within a parking bay, a suspension is required. 

Road damage 

Any damage caused to the road is inspected by our highways team who will recover damages. 


Our enforcement team will take action should: 

  • the skip or materials do not have the appropriate licence 
  • any of the conditions of permission be broken 

General licence conditions 

You must follow these conditions: 

  • only one skip is allowed on-site at any one time
  • the skip supplier is responsible for ensuring: 
    • a skip does not obstruct other road users 
    • all appropriate regulations are followed 
  • no skips or materials are to be put on the road until the licence is granted 
  • a builder's skip shall be clearly marked with the owner's name and telephone number 
  • skips and materials must be properly lit during the hours of darkness 

Skip licence conditions 

For full licence conditions, please see: 

The skip: 

  • must be lit during the hours of darkness 
  • must not be larger than 5 metres by 2 metres 
  • should be always filled in a safe and controlled manner 
  • should not be overfilled 
  • should be removed as soon as practical after it's full
  • must not be placed on the pavement or in front gardens (damage is caused to the pavement by skip lorries) 
  • should be covered over when unattended to prevent unauthorised dumping/overfilling 

Materials licence conditions 

You must follow these conditions: 

  • materials must not exceed: 
    • length: 3 metres 
    • breadth: 2 metres 
    • height: 1 metre 
  • rainwater must be allowed to drain into the public gullies/drains – a 2-inch diameter pipe or scaffold plank should be placed in the gutter 
  • loose materials must be prevented from spreading across the road 
  • materials must not be stored on the pavement 
  • materials (such as cement) must not be mixed directly on the pavement or road – a board must be in place 
  • the licence holder is responsible for making sure the materials are lit during the hours of darkness 

Back to top


Page last updated:

January 4, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)