Friday 14 December: we are currently experiencing technical issues with our Residents and Visitors permits online applications. Civica are working to resolve this as soon as possible. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Important information regarding resident permit renewals: following the recent permit price changes (implemented on 3 April 2018), all residents renewing their permits have to re-apply as if they are a new applicant. We apologise for the inconvenience.
- Dumped or untaxed vehicle?
- What is an abandoned vehicle
- What happens to the vehicle if it is found abandoned?
- What do you do if you suspect your vehicle has been removed?
There are a number of ways you can report an abandoned vehicle:
- Telephone: 0330 008 7895 - please note that calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes
- Email: email@example.com
Please provide us with as much of the following information about the vehicle as possible:
- Its exact location
- Its registration number
- The make and model
- The colour
- The length of time it has been left
All reports of abandoned vehicles will be investigated within one working day.
There are a number of criteria that the abandoned vehicle officers look for when assessing vehicles, this includes
- No current keeper
- Signs of it not being used for a long period of time, such as rusty brakes, flat tyres and mould
- Significantly damaged, run down or unroadworthy
- Burnt out
- Lacking one or more of its number plates
- Containing waste
- Wheels removed, broken windows.
A vehicle can be classified as abandoned even if it is taxed and has a current MOT certificate.
If the vehicle is found to meet the abandoned vehicle criteria, our officer will place a 24 hour notice on the vehicle stating the council's intention to remove and dispose of it.
If a vehicle is assessed and found to be in such a condition that it ought to be destroyed it will be removed and disposed of within one working day of the notice expiry.
If the vehicle is not in such a condition, we will remove the vehicle to our vehicle pound and write to the owner allowing them seven days to collect the vehicle before it is disposed of.
If you suspect that your vehicle has been towed away you can contact the London-wide TRACE service using one of the methods below:
- Trace your vehicle online (external link)
- Text 'TRACE' followed by your Vehicle Registration Mark (registration number) to 66663 - you may be charged for this service
- Call the TRACE Customer Services Helpdesk - tel: 0300 077 0100
If we have removed your vehicle, they will refer you to our Abandoned Vehicles administration team who will explain to you the procedure to have your vehicle released as well as the appeals procedure.
Vehicles held at our Pound will be subject to the following release fees as stated in the Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984:
- £200 removal fee
- £40 per day storage fee
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required