- Dumped vehicle?
- What is an abandoned vehicle
- What happens to the vehicle if it is found abandoned?
- What do you do if you suspect your vehicle has been removed?
There are a number of ways you can report an abandoned vehicle:
0330 135 8949
Please note, calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.
Report using the Love Clean Streets app
Please provide us with as much of the following information about the vehicle as possible:
- its exact location
- its registration number
- the make and model
- the colour
- the length of time it's been left
All reports of abandoned vehicles will be investigated within 1 working day.
What is an abandoned vehicle?
There are a number of criteria that the abandoned vehicle officers look for when assessing vehicles, this includes:
- no current keeper
- signs of it not being used for a long period of time, such as rusty brakes, flat tyres and mould
- significantly damaged, run down or unroadworthy
- burnt out
- lacking 1 or more of its number plates
- containing waste
- wheels removed, broken windows.
A vehicle can be classified as abandoned even if it's taxed and has a current MOT certificate.
What happens to the vehicle if it is found abandoned?
- If the vehicle is found to meet the abandoned vehicles criteria, our officer will investigate the matter and attempt to make contact with the registered keeper.
- If there is no registered keeper associated to the vehicle, a notice may be placed on the vehicle stating the council’s intention to remove and dispose of it within 24 hours of the notice being served.
- If a vehicle is assessed and found to be in such a condition that it ought to be destroyed, it will be removed and disposed of within 1 working day of the notice expiring.
- If a vehicle is deemed hazardous or dangerous, it can be removed immediately.
- If the vehicle is not in such a condition, we will remove the vehicle to our car pound and write to the owner, allowing them 7 days to collect the vehicle before it's disposed of.
What to do if you suspect your vehicle has been removed
If you suspect that your vehicle has been towed away you can contact the London-wide TRACE service using one of the methods below:
- Trace your vehicle online (external link)
- Call the TRACE Customer Services Helpdesk
0300 077 0100
If we've removed your vehicle, they will refer you to our Abandoned Vehicles administration team who will explain to you the procedure to have your vehicle released as well as the appeals procedure.
Vehicles held at our Pound will be subject to the following release fees as stated in the Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984:
- £200 removal fee
- £40 per day storage fee
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.
* = response required