Essential service permit
An essential service permit (ESP) allows people providing some public services to residents to park in a residential or shared use bay within a controlled parking zone (CPZ).
The ESP scheme supports local authority services, NHS health professionals, charities and not-for-profit organisations that provide healthcare, counselling or social care to Haringey residents.
There are 5 types of ESP:
- essential service – all zones, vehicle specific
- essential service – all zones, transferable vehicle registration
- essential service – daily voucher permits
- essential service – teachers
- essential service – ministers of religion
The qualifying criteria is based on exceptional operational need, covering people providing essential services to residents who are required to work extended unsociable hours, or are on 24-hour call out.
- essential service – all zones / daily vouchers [applicable to ESP types 1 to 3]: you must supply a business case setting out operational need, services provided (health, counselling or social care services to borough residents), and other information appropriate to the application
- essential service – teachers [applicable to ESP type 4]: you must supply a business case detailing operational need, availability of alternate parking, proximity of transport services, the school staff travel plan and other information appropriate to the application. Applications must include signed approval by the head teacher
- essential service – ministers of religion [applicable to ESP type 5]: ministers are entitled to apply for permits to help them attend to residents in their own home. You must supply a business case detailing why use of the vehicle is essential to the service to support the application.
Essential service permits are valid in residential and shared use parking bays only (that is, residential and paid-for parking bays), in the areas defined below.
Essential service: ESP types 1 to 3, and 5
Valid in residential and shared use parking bays only (that is, residential and paid-for parking bays), borough-wide, except in Wood Green (see below).
Wood Green exceptions
The ESP may not be used in the Wood Green Inner CPZ, or in the following roads in the Wood Green Outer CPZ:
- Barratt Avenue N22
- Ranelagh Road N22
- Selbourne Road N22
- Wolseley Road N22
The only exemptions to these restrictions are:
- the need to transport hazardous chemicals or heavy equipment to or from a property - a maximum time limit of up to 2 hours stay, with no return to the same road for 2 hours applies
- attending emergency call outs - a maximum time limit of up to 2 hours stay, with no return to the same road for 2 hours applies
Please note: ESPs are not for workplace parking, or to allow holders to park for any length of time when visiting their place of work. ESP holders must make alternative parking arrangements when they’re in the office.
They may park free of charge for an unlimited amount of time on the upper deck of the Bury Road car park.
Essential service: ESP type 4 (teachers)
Valid in residential and shared use parking bays only (that is, residential and paid-for parking bays) in designated streets adjacent to the teacher’s school. Designated streets will be defined when the permit is issued.
The council has introduced paperless virtual permits to replace paper ones.
Please select the appropriate button below.
Buy or renew essential service permit
Refunds for paper parking permits
If you still have a paper parking permit and have moved out of Haringey or no longer own a vehicle, you may be eligible for a refund on your paper parking permit. Please fill in the Permit refund request form (PDF, 67KB) and return it to the address on the form.
If you need to cancel a virtual parking permit, please use your parking permit account.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required