Essential Service Permit
An Essential Service Permit (ESP) allows those people providing public personal services to residents to park in a residential or shared use bay within a controlled parking zone. The ESP scheme supports Local Authority Services, NHS Health professionals, charities and not-for-profit organisations who provide healthcare, counselling or social care to Haringey residents.
Please note: since 30 March 2015 those who provide building maintenance or other services, such as estate agents, will not be entitled to Essential Service Permits and must apply for a Borough Wide or Utilities Permit. This includes Home for Haringey employees.
The qualifying criteria is based on exceptional operational need:
- Those involved in the delivery of essential services to residents who are required to work extended unsociable hours or are on 24 hour call out
- Schools may submit a business case for permits and these will be charged at the rates for residential parking permits. A separate application form has been created for schools - Essential Service Permits for Schools application form (PDF, 66KB)
- Prices for Essential permits, Schools and Ministers of Religion:
Download the ESP and Ministers of Religion application forms:
- Essential Service application form (PDF, 194KB)
- Essential Service Permit for Ministers application form (PDF, 151KB)
Roads you where you cannot park
Your Essential Service permit is valid in residential and shared use parking bays only (i.e. residential + paid for parking bays). It does not give exemption from waiting and loading restrictions (yellow lines) or from parking arrangements on housing estates. You should make sure that you do not park in suspended bays regardless of whether or not the reason for the suspension is apparent. If a parking bay is out of use, nearby signs will explain the restrictions.
Please note: Essential Services Permits are not for workplace parking, or to allow holders to park for any length of time when visiting their place of work. Essential Service Permit holders must make alternative parking arrangements when they are in the office. They may park free of charge for an unlimited amount of time on the upper deck of the Bury Road car park.
Wood Green Controlled Parking Zones (CPZ)
The Essential Service Permit may not be used in the Wood Green Inner CPZ.
It may also not be used in the following roads in the Wood Green Outer CPZ: Barratt Avenue N22, Ranelagh Road N22, Selbourne Road N22 and Wolseley Road N22.
The only exemptions to these restrictions are:
- The need to transport hazardous chemicals or heavy equipment to or from a property
- Attending emergency call outs
A maximum time limit of up to two hours stay - with no return to the same road for two hours - applies to these exemptions.
If you have any questions about the scheme please contact us.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required