Important information regarding resident permit renewals: following the recent permit price changes (implemented on 3 April 2018), all residents renewing their permits have to re-apply as if they are a new applicant. We apologise for the inconvenience.
Disabled Persons' Parking Bay
Disabled Persons' Parking Bays allow Blue Badge holders to park near their home, hospital, doctor's surgery, chemist or other public buildings.
- Important information to consider before applying for a disabled persons parking bay
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Contact us
As a Blue Badge holder you are entitled to park in Controlled Parking Zones (CPZs) across the borough as long as your Blue Badge is clearly displayed.
Areas where Blue Badge holders can park include:
- In a Permit or Pay and Display Bay for an unlimited time, please note this does not apply to Doctor, Traders or Business bays
- On a single or double yellow line for up to three hours, except where there is a ban on loading or unloading. Please check traffic signs for specific details
When a CPZ is introduced the restrictions are implemented to ease parking congestion - therefore a disabled bay may not be necessary and a car displaying a European Blue Badge will not necessarily need a parking permit for a CPZ area.
- In line with Department of Transport regulations, the painted area for a disabled persons' parking bay can be up to 6.6metres. This length can sometimes cover the frontage of up to two houses.
Please also see the Companion Badges page which you may find useful should you live within a CPZ area and hold a current Blue Badge.
Further information about the European Blue Badge Parking scheme is available on our website.
Apply for disabled person's parking bay
- Download the Disabled Persons' Parking Bay Application Form (PDF, 152KB)
- Criteria for the Provisions of a Disabled persons Parking Bay
Who is eligible for a disabled bay?
You may be eligible for a disabled bay if:
- You hold a current European Blue Badge
- You receive the enhanced mobility component of the Personal Independence Payment or Higher Rate Attendance Allowance for over 65s
- You have no alternative off-street parking like a garage, a driveway or an area of hard standing in your garden
How do I apply for a disabled bay?
You can download a disabled bay application form from our Disabled Persons' Parking Bay page. Alternatively, please contact our Customer Services team at 020 8489 1000 to ask for a paper application form to be posted to you.
How long does the process take?
Due to the statutory process involved we would expect to implement the disabled bay between 3 and 6 months from the date your application is received.
How much does it cost?
There is no cost to the applicant for the installation of a disabled bay.
Who can use the disabled bay?
Any Blue Badge holder can use the bay – it is not the applicant’s exclusive parking bay.
I don’t own a vehicle or drive – can I still apply for a disabled bay?
Yes, you can if your nominated driver resides permanently at your address.
I don’t own a vehicle or drive and no-one who lives with me owns or drives a vehicle on my behalf – can I still apply for a disabled bay for relatives?
No. It is not feasible for a disabled parking bay to be used only for picking up and dropping off passengers.
The bay would stand empty most of the time, stopping other motorists from parking and reducing the amount of parking space for other residents.
I have a parking restriction outside my property – can I still apply for a disabled bay?
If you have a waiting restriction (i.e. yellow lines) or a bus stop outside your property you can still apply for a disabled bay. However, we would need carry out a site visit to determine the most suitable location for the bay and will generally locate it at the nearest unrestricted location.
There is a disabled bay in my street that is no longer being used. Can it be removed?
If there is a redundant disabled bay in your road then please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating the address (including the house number) where the disabled bay is located.
We will then carry out a process called statutory consultation and if there are no objections to its removal, we will instruct our contractor to remove it. Please note this process may take up to 6 months.
Tel 020 8489 1000
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required