Important piece of Wood Green history to be restored to former glory
An Edwardian drinking fountain and cattle trough in Wood Green, dating back to 1901, will be restored to its former glory with a £28,000 facelift this spring.
The High Road monument is currently in poor condition and on Historic England’s ‘Buildings at Risk’ register. The funds to repair the fountain have been raised by the council in partnership with Historic England, Heritage of London Trust and the Drinking Fountains Association with work due to start in March.
Following its restoration, the drinking fountain will be switched on for demonstrations and special events, such as London Open House.
The grade II listed structure was first erected at the start of the 20th Century by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association as part of its drive to ensure Londoners could enjoy free clean water. Fountains were often located outside pubs to encourage people to drink water rather than beer, and Wood Green’s fountain can be found outside what was previously the ‘Fishmongers Arms’ pub, now a police training centre.
Cllr Joe Goldberg, Haringey Council Cabinet Member for Economic Development, Social Inclusion and Sustainability said:
“The fountain and cattle trough is an important piece of Wood Green’s social history dating back to the turn of the last century and it will be great to see this historic monument restored for future generations to enjoy.”
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required