Complaints about the Council
Some common complaints have statutory/independent processes that need to be followed. Before submitting a complaint please ensure that none of the alternative complaints procedures listed below are applicable to your case.
Alternative complaints procedures
In some cases, other complaints procedures may apply, or we may need to refer you to a tribunal. These include complaints about:
- Adults Social Care Complaints - The law states what we must do with adult social care complaints
- Children’s Social Care Complaints - We offer a free independent advocacy service carried out by Barnardo's to help young people who wish to complain about social care services
- Homes for Haringey Complaint - Give feedback to Homes for Haringey
- entitlement to Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction
- Appealing a parking fine (Penalty Charge Notice)
- Appealing a planning decision
- something covered by a statutory process such as an appeal or tribunal
The council's corporate complaints procedure has two stages:
When we receive your complaint, we will try to sort out the problem straight away. If we can't:
- we will write to you within two working days to let you know who is dealing with your complaint
- a senior manager will reply to you in writing within 10 working days
If we need more time we will let you know and give you a new date for our response. If you would like to make a complaint please complete our online feedback form:
If you are not happy with the response you received, you can ask the Feedback and Information Governance (FIG) Team to review your complaint. FIG is independent of the service departments and Homes for Haringey and their investigations are impartial and on behalf of the Chief Executive. FIG will try to resolve the matter, but may investigate further, in which case they will:
- write to you within two working days to let you know who is dealing with your complaint
- reply to you in writing within 25 working days
- usually offer you escalation to the Local Government Ombudsman
If they need more time they will let you know and give you a new date for their response.
They also carry out Independent Reviews of complaints to Homes for Haringey (external link)
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required