Barbecues in parks
As this very hot weather continues, we would urge people not to barbecue in our parks.
London Fire Brigade has asked all boroughs to spread this message due to a real risk of grass fires in this heat.
The capital has already had six times the number of grass fires in 2018 than in the whole of 2017. As a lot of green space tends to be near roads and houses, LFB warns that hot smoke and flaming debris could easily catch nearby cars and houses.
With this in mind, please follow the fire brigade’s tips on preventing grass fires:
• Do not use barbecues in parks, grass verges and other public spaces
• Never barbecue on a balcony
• Clear away bottles, glasses and any broken glass to avoid them magnifying the sun and starting a fire
• Dispose of smoking materials such as cigarettes safely
• Explain to children the dangers of playing with and lighting fires
Thank you for your co-operation.
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required