Haringey and Brexit

42,000 people in Haringey are from other EU countries (almost 1 in every 6 Haringey residents). Friends, neighbours, family and colleagues, these people make an enormous contribution to the cultural and economic life of our borough.

Haringey Council is determined to ensure that Haringey, its residents and businesses receive the best possible deal from Brexit. Haringey is not alone in needing to address the impacts of Brexit. We are working with a number of regional and national partners and our business partners, in order to ensure Haringey’s voice is heard, and the rights of our residents are protected.

Statements/letters from the Leader of Haringey Council

Back to top

EU Settlement Scheme

Businesses and BrexitThe EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) requires all non-British and non-Irish EU citizens to register to continue to live and work in the UK after the UK leaves the EU. The scheme will be open for applications until 30 June 2021.

The EUSS is an online application requiring applicants to submit proof of EU nationality, proof of UK residency and to declare any criminal convictions.

Applicants will need to show 5 years continuous residency in the UK to be granted settled status. Those who have been in the UK for less than 5 years will be granted pre-settled status. They will then be eligible for settled status after 5 years.

EU citizens with settled or pre-settled status will retain their rights to work in the UK, use the NHS, enrol in education or continue studying, access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if eligible for them, and to travel in and out of the UK.

Applying for settled/pre-settled status

In order to apply please visit the GOV.UK website: Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme - settled and pre-settled status (external link). This page is also available in 26 EU languages (external link).

Support available in Haringey

Help is available to support Haringey’s EU residents to secure their rights.

ID document scanning service

Haringey now offers a free ID scanning service for Haringey residents at George Meehan House, 294 High Road, Wood Green N22 8YX.

You can make an appointment to have your ID document scanned and verified for you if you cannot use the EU Exit: ID Document Check app (external link). The purpose of the scan is to confirm your identity so that you’ll be able to make an application to the EU Settlement Scheme.

You must not start your application for settled status before you attend your appointment.

To book an appointment please email registrars@haringey.gov.uk with your name and availability.

Once your ID document has been scanned you can make the rest of your application online later using a computer or any other device you choose to access the internet.

What to bring to your appointment:

  • Your biometric passport from an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland
  • A mobile phone that can receive text messages or a device that can receive email
  • Proof of Haringey address (we will be flexible for those of no fixed abode)

Digital support

If you do not have access to the right technology, or feel that you do not have the skills or confidence to complete the application online you can use the Assisted Digital Service: We Are Digital.

Please call 03333 445 675 to book an appointment at Wood Green or Marcus Garvey Library.

If you have hearing and/or speech difficulties you can access this service on a smartphone, computer or tablet or text phone by dialing 18001 in front of the phone number above.

  • Text message: text the word 'VISA' to 07537 416 944
  • Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 4pm

Additional support

Bridge Renewal Trust (external link) is coordinating Haringey’s assistance to EU residents who require additional one-on-one support, for example to obtain nationality or residency documents. This support will be delivered by voluntary sector organisations in Haringey.

Please check this page for the latest information.

Where to go for support

    Wood Green Library - 187-197A High Road, Wood Green, London N22 6XD

    • Monday, drop-in 10am to 3pm
    • Tuesday, drop-in 10am to 2pm
    • Wednesday, 10am to 2pm - Sessions run by PEEC Family Centre (external link).
    • Thursday, drop-in 10am to 1pm
    • Friday, drop-in 10am to 2pm

    Marcus Garvey Library – 1 Philip Lane, Tottenham, London N15 4JA

    • Thursday, drop-in 10am to 1pm

    Tottenham Job Centre, 640-656 High Rd, Tottenham, London N17 0AA

    • Monday, drop-in 9am to 4pm

    Citizens Advice Haringey - 20e Waltheof Gardens, Tottenham, London N17 7DN

    • Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, drop-in 10am to 12 noon and 2pm to 4pm

    Sessions run by Citizens Advice Haringey (external link).

    PEEC Family Centre - Haringey Irish Center, Pretoria Road, Tottenham, London N17 8DX

    • Monday, drop-in 4 to 6pm
    • Tuesday, 3 to 6pm, by appointment
    • Wednesday, drop-in 3 to 5pm

    Appointments via info@peec.org.uk or by calling 020 8365 9090 or 07366996861.

    The Laurel's Healthy Living Centre, 256 St Ann's Road, West Green, London N15 5AZ

    • Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm - by appointment only

    To book an appointment, call 020 3866 1048 or email euss@bridgerenewaltrust.org.uk

    Session run by the Bridge Renewal Trust (external link).

    All organisations are registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) to provide immigration advice for the EU Settlement Scheme and offer free support.

    When attending, please bring your passport or ID card and national insurance number.

    For other queries email: euss@bridgerenewaltrust.org.uk

    Back to top

    Events in Haringey 

    Let's Get Settled

    For information, advice and support with EU Settlement Scheme applications.

    Back to top

    Advice and support

    Whether a resident or a local business, below are some useful Brexit information resources:

      Advice and support for EU citizens in Haringey

      We recently delivered a Haringey and Brexit leaflet (PDF, 398KB) to 117,000 households in the borough, which explains what people need to do to apply for settled status in the UK. The EU Settlement Scheme opened for applications at the end of March and the deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.

      Advice for voluntary organisations and businesses

      Other useful links

      Back to top

      Previous events

      Brexit public meeting - Monday 18 February 2019

      The council held a Brexit public meeting on Monday 18 February 2019, offering advice and support to residents and businesses across the borough who will be affected by Brexit. The meeting took place at the Civic Centre in Wood Green.

      Back to top


      Page Last Updated:

      4 March 2020

      Give us feedback about this page

      Please note if you have a service issue you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

      Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

      * = response required

      Please note this form is not for general service requests or issues. It's quicker for you if those comments are sent directly to Customer Services.

      How easy was it to get the help you wanted

      Would you like to provide any further comments about your visit today?

      Additional comment?

      Do you wish to report a problem with a council service?

      Service comment

      It's quicker if you report any service issues using our online self-service pages (opens in new window).

      Tell us about your experience of using the website below:

      Please note this form is not for general service requests or reporting issues with a service. It's quicker for you if those comments are sent directly to Customer Services.