Haringey and Brexit
42,000 people in Haringey are from other EU countries (almost 1 in every 6 Haringey residents). Friends, neighbours, family and colleagues, these people make an enormous contribution to the cultural and economic life of our borough.
Haringey Council is determined to ensure that Haringey, its residents and businesses receive the best possible deal from Brexit. Haringey is not alone in needing to address the impacts of Brexit. We are working with a number of regional and national partners and our business partners, in order to ensure Haringey’s voice is heard, and the rights of our residents are protected.
Statements/letters from the Leader of Haringey Council
- Brexit - Letter of support to EU citizens (PDF, 263KB) - 1 February 2019
- Full council: Leader's statement on Brexit - 11 October 2018
- Leader's Brexit commitment to EU citizens - 10 October 2018
Brexit public meeting - Monday 18 February 2019
The council held a Brexit public meeting on Monday 18 February 2019, offering advice and support to residents and businesses across the borough who will be affected by Brexit. The meeting took place at the Civic Centre, High Road, Wood Green, N22 8LE.
Advice and support
Whether a resident or a local business, below are some useful Brexit information resources:
Advice and support for EU citizens in Haringey:
We recently delivered a Haringey and Brexit leaflet (PDF, 398KB) to 117,000 households in the borough, which explains what people need to do to apply for settled status in the UK. The EU Settlement Scheme opened for applications at the end of March and the deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.
- Brexit FAQs
- Nationality and citizenship service
- Register to vote
- Information for EU Citizens in the UK - GOV.UK (external link).
- Staying in the UK after Brexit - Citizens Advice Bureau (external link)
- Advice for European Londoners - Mayor of London (external link)
Advice for voluntary organisations and businesses:
- Advice for voluntary organisations - NCVO (external link)
- Advice for businesses - Confederation of British Industry (CBI) (external link)
- Haringey Council and its supply chain after Brexit
- Small Business Brexit Pack - Federation of Small Businesses (external link)
- Brexit Business Resource Hub (from the GLA) (external link)
Other useful links:
- Government department for Exiting the European Union - GOV.UK (external link)
- Advice for Councils - Local Government Association Brexit guidance (external link)