Haringey and Brexit
- Statements/letters from the Leader of Haringey Council
- EU Settlement Scheme
- Advice and support
- Previous events
42,000 people in Haringey are from other EU countries (almost 1 in every 6 Haringey residents). Friends, neighbours, family and colleagues, these people make an enormous contribution to the cultural and economic life of our borough.
Haringey Council is determined to ensure that Haringey, its residents and businesses receive the best possible deal from Brexit. Haringey is not alone in needing to address the impacts of Brexit. We are working with a number of regional and national partners and our business partners, in order to ensure Haringey’s voice is heard, and the rights of our residents are protected.
- Brexit - Letter of support to EU citizens (PDF, 263KB) - 1 February 2019
- Full council: Leader's statement on Brexit - 11 October 2018
- Leader's Brexit commitment to EU citizens - 10 October 2018
The EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) requires all non-British and non-Irish EU citizens to register to continue to live and work in the UK after the UK leaves the EU. The scheme will be open for applications until 30 June 2021.
The EUSS is an online application requiring applicants to submit proof of EU nationality, proof of UK residency and to declare any criminal convictions.
Applicants will need to show 5 years continuous residency in the UK to be granted settled status. Those who have been in the UK for less than 5 years will be granted pre-settled status. They will then be eligible for settled status after 5 years.
EU citizens with settled or pre-settled status will retain their rights to work in the UK, use the NHS, enrol in education or continue studying, access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if eligible for them, and to travel in and out of the UK.
Applying for settled/pre-settled status
In order to apply please visit the GOV.UK website: Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme - settled and pre-settled status (external link). This page is also available in 26 EU languages (external link).
Support available in Haringey
Help is available to support Haringey’s EU residents to secure their rights.
Bridge Renewal Trust (external link) is coordinating Haringey’s assistance to EU residents who require support or advice with EUSS applications.
Face-to-face support is currently suspended.
To receive support with an application via telephone or email please contact:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 07763 566 731 - Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm
Whether a resident or a local business, below are some useful Brexit information resources:
We recently delivered a Haringey and Brexit leaflet (PDF, 398KB) to 117,000 households in the borough, which explains what people need to do to apply for settled status in the UK. The EU Settlement Scheme opened for applications at the end of March and the deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.
- Brexit FAQs
- Nationality and citizenship service
- Register to vote
- Information for EU Citizens in the UK - GOV.UK (external link).
- Staying in the UK after Brexit - Citizens Advice Bureau (external link)
- Advice for European Londoners - Mayor of London (external link)
- Advice for voluntary organisations - NCVO (external link)
- Advice for businesses - Confederation of British Industry (CBI) (external link)
- Haringey Council and its supply chain after Brexit
- Small Business Brexit Pack - Federation of Small Businesses (external link)
- Brexit Business Resource Hub (from the GLA) (external link)
- Government department for Exiting the European Union - GOV.UK (external link)
- Advice for Councils - Local Government Association Brexit guidance (external link)
Brexit public meeting - Monday 18 February 2019
The council held a Brexit public meeting on Monday 18 February 2019, offering advice and support to residents and businesses across the borough who will be affected by Brexit. The meeting took place at the Civic Centre in Wood Green.
Let's get settled events
A number of events have also been held to provide support and advice to EU nationals in Haringey.
- Thursday 6 February 2020, 11am-1pm - Blend Café, N8
- Tuesday 28 January 2020, 6-8pm - Civic Centre, N22
- Thursday 16 January 2020, 10am-12 noon - Blend Café, N8
- Wednesday 18 September 2019, 5-8pm - Open day, Chestnuts Community Centre, N15
Page Last Updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required