Haringey coronavirus (COVID-19) updates
- Haringey together: Find out how you can help and what to do if you need support
- Haringey case numbers and rates
- See also: Council services | Business support | Community and voluntary sector support | Help to stay positive | Health advice: what to do if you are unwell | Children and young people | Useful links
During the COVID-19 lockdown, Haringey staff, our voluntary and community sector partners and an army of willing volunteers worked together to ensure that the borough’s most vulnerable received food and essential items, delivered to their doors.
The hubs at Alexandra Palace and Tottenham Hotspur Stadium delivered thousands of food parcels to those most in need. This video shows their work, with words from some of those who helped. We’re extremely thankful to all of those who contributed, whether through donations of money, food or essential items, or by giving up their time to help pack and deliver the parcels that we delivered.
Our Connected Communities team continues to offer advice to residents who may be struggling to cope in the current environment. If you need assistance, visit our Connected Communities page or call 020 8489 4431, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
People who have been shielding during the Covid-19 pandemic have been told that they no longer need to do so, at least for the time-being.
The Government has said that from the beginning of August those who are “clinically extremely vulnerable” can go out.
That means they may:
- go to work if it is Covid-secure, but should carry on working from home wherever possible
- shielded children can return to school or nursery
- go outside but you should keep overall social interactions low
- go shopping and eat out while following social distancing rules
Please continue to wash your hands carefully and more frequently than usual and ensure that you maintain thorough cleaning of frequently touched areas in your home and workplace.
The changes mean that people who have been shielding will no longer receive free food parcels, medicine deliveries and basic care from the National Shielding Service.
However, you will still be able to get:
- local volunteer support which can be organised by Haringey Council
- prescriptions, essential items and food you buy delivered by NHS Volunteer Responders
- priority slots for supermarket deliveries (if you previously registered for free food parcels)
This guidance may change if the number of cases goes up.
With the summer holidays on and school libraries closed, you may need help finding suitable reading material to keep the kids busy.
Haringey libraries are offering Ready Reads, a selection of books chosen by our librarians based on your tastes. All you have to do is tell us what you or your children enjoy reading. You can’t request specific authors or individual books, but give us some tips and we will do our best to choose a batch of books that we think will be to your liking.
There are six books in each pack and one pack is available per library card.
You can order your Ready Reads by completing this Ready Reads online form or by calling us on 020 8489 2700, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
Ready Reads is available in all Haringey libraries, except Coombes Croft, Hornsey and Marcus Garvey Libraries, which remain closed. We will provide further updates on the opening of all three libraries as soon as they are available.
We also have Haringey Story Time and Rhyme Time to entertain your children – videos of children’s book readings and nursery rhyme singalongs are available here.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required
Haringey case numbers
Haringey People Extra