Guidance for shoppers
Many retail businesses are now allowed to reopen (from 15 June onwards) but shops cannot operate in the same way they did before. Shopping is going to look and feel very different to how it was before coronavirus. The list of shops and premises that can, and can’t open, are changing regularly. For all the latest updates visit GOV.UK (external link).
Local retailers across Haringey are working hard to make sure that you can shop safely. Many of these measures you will be already familiar with and include:
- Reduced numbers of customers in the store
- Queuing systems outside the store
- Floor markings inside and outside of stores to support you to social distance
- Handwashing/sanitising stations
- One-way systems in stores
- Encouraging cashless purchases
- Screens at serving areas and till points
- Staff wearing PPE
- Seating areas closed off or removed both inside and outside of stores
- Closed changing rooms in clothing stores or supermarkets
Every business has a legal duty to protect their staff, customers and others affected by their work activities from the risk of coronavirus infection. Businesses must make sure they are COVID-19 secure and can maintain social distancing before they reopen. Look out for the Covid secure poster (PDF, 365KB) in shop windows.
- Visit our dedicated reopening your business safely page for more information.
We all need to work together to make our High Streets and local town centres places that shoppers feel safe and secure returning too. Retailers can’t do it alone, you can help by:
- Maintain social distancing and stay 2 meters apart from other shoppers
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitiser
- Consider a face covering in small spaces
- Pay by contactless/card payments if possible
- Only touch what you are going to buy
- Ideally shop alone
- Ideally you should walk, cycle or use your own vehicle to travel. Please note, if you are travelling by public transport face coverings will be compulsory by 15 June.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required