Guidance for shoppers
The current government guidance is that people should Stay At Home (external link). You must not leave, or be outside of your home except where necessary. You may leave the home to:
- shop for basic necessities, for you or a vulnerable person.
- go to work, or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home.
- exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person. This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.
- For all the latest updates and a full list of what activities are allowed, visit GOV.UK (external link).
During this time only essential businesses are allowed to stay open. Businesses and venues which must close are detailed at GOV.UK (external link).
Local retailers across Haringey are working hard to make sure that you can shop safely. Many of these measures you will be already familiar with and include:
- Reduced numbers of customers in the store
- Queuing systems outside the store
- Floor markings inside and outside of stores to support you to social distance
- Handwashing/sanitising stations
- One-way systems in stores
- Encouraging cashless purchases
- Screens at serving areas and till points
- Staff wearing PPE
- Seating areas closed off or removed both inside and outside of stores
- Closed changing rooms in clothing stores or supermarkets
Every business has a legal duty to protect their staff, customers and others affected by their work activities from the risk of coronavirus infection. Businesses must make sure they are COVID-19 secure and can maintain social distancing before they reopen. Look out for the Covid secure poster (PDF, 365KB) in shop windows.
We all need to work together to make our High Streets and local town centres places that shoppers feel safe. Retailers can’t do it alone, you can help by:
- Maintain social distancing and stay 2 metres apart from other shoppers
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for 20 seconds or use hand sanitiser
- Wear a face covering
- Pay by contactless/card payments if possible
- Only touch what you are going to buy
- Ideally, shop alone
- Walk, cycle or use your own vehicle to travel within your local area. Please note that face coverings are compulsory if you are travelling by public transport
- Support your local businesses and Live.Shop.Local.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required