Self-employed and creative businesses
Self-employment Income Support Scheme
If you are self-employed or a member of a partnership and have been impacted by COVID-19, you may be eligible to claim a grant under the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme.
Self-employment and Universal Credit
Universal Credit is a monthly payment to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income, out of work or you cannot work.
Please note: if you get a grant through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme, your Universal Credit payments may stop or go down.
Find out more on Self-employment and Universal Credit at GOV.UK (external link).
The current crisis has a profound impact on all sectors of the economy, with retail, hospitality, travel and the creative industries hit particularly hard. A third of the creative sector workforce is self-employed, and 95% of all creative businesses are SMEs or micro-SMEs, making it particularly vulnerable.
If you are an arts organisation, business or individual working in the cultural sector, creative industries or night-time economy in London, please visit the Mayor of London’s Culture at Risk webpage (external link) to register your details for support, guidance and resources.
For creative sector-specific news, resources and opportunities, you can follow @madebytottenham on Instagram and sign up to their newsletter (external link).
Further advice and guidance
- Mayor of London’s Pay It Forward (external link) - free crowdfunding platform to help businesses secure trade by pre-selling vouchers, goods and services
- Creative Industries Federation (external link) is offering a free six-month membership for freelancers and microbusinesses (usual cost £80)
- Art Fund (external link) - small project grants of up to £10,000 for museums, galleries and other visual arts organisations
- Social Enterprises UK (external link)
- Tutti (external link) - free resources for freelancers including links to online courses and temporary work opportunities
If you have been told to self-isolate by COVID-19 NHS Test and Trace and are losing pay because you cannot work, you may be able to claim up to £500.
Find out more about the payments, who can claim, and how to apply, on our dedicated support payment page.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required