COVID 19 vaccines in Haringey
Haringey Resident Karolina has had her first vaccine some weeks ago...
The pressure to take COVID 19 vaccine to reach herd immunity and to protect the vulnerable has inflamed worries about side effects. So, what do you need to know?
There are three COVID 19 vaccines available in the UK: Moderna, Oxford/ Astra Zeneca, and Pfizer/ BioNtech. They all simulate an immune response without causing illness by using a harmless form of the virus SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19. The antigens trigger an immune response, which builds our body’s immune memory in case it needs to fight off SARS-CoV-2 for real.
It is normal to experience side effects as it means the vaccine is working. If you feel uncomfortable you can ease the symptoms with paracetamol. Fever can be a common side effect. It usually appears within 48 hours and takes as long to go.
If you are worried before vaccination, speak to your GP. Afterwards, if symptoms persist call 111- 24hrs a day.
As with all medication, each vaccine is a balancing act between side effects and its benefits so bear that in mind.
- GOV.UK advice on the Oxford/AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine (external link)
- GOV.UK advice on the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine (external link)
- GOV.UK advice on the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine (external link)
By Karolina Frackowska
Read more stories
- Nikita Hyare talks about COVID 19 vaccines
- Life changing lockdown - my story
- In the spirit of subtle resistance
- Don’t get too excited about the new Alzheimer’s drug recently approved in the US
- Music in lockdown - Peter Martin
- Music in lockdown - Julieta Iglesias
- Music in lockdown - Benedict Lewis-Smith
- Changes at Haringey Adult Learning Service (HALS)
- The Old Bakery gin - in love with local history
- A mini Eden project for the community
- On your bike!
- Mental Health Awareness Week
- Being a victim of identity theft during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Alex Oppong’s advice on how to stay safe online
- Measles and me: why I chose to have the Astra Zeneca vaccination
- The long way home - travel & quarantine
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required