Haringey Council has seen a 62% real term reduction in government funding since 2010.
Since 2010, Haringey’s Real Terms Spending Power has reduced by £123.7m.
Your council is much smaller now. We have 45% fewer staff and occupy 12 fewer buildings.
Our funding has been reduced for 10 years in a row against a background of rising demand, particularly for Adults’ and Children’s Services and services related to homelessness, including temporary accommodation. Across the country, local authorities are seeing a similar pattern.
This is how much your council was budgeted to spend in 2019/20 and how the money is allocated
|Adult Social Services||£77.3m|
|Borrowing costs and other council-wide costs||£16.5m|
|Children’s Services (includes Schools and Learning)||£56.7m|
|Customer Services and Libraries||£4.4m|
|Environment and Neighbourhoods||£27.7m|
|Regeneration, Planning and Development||£4.9m|
Our guiding principles
The financial challenge set out above is significant, but we are committed to delivering budget reductions as fairly as possible and minimising the direct impact on our residents who need the most support. To help us do this we developed a set of guiding principles:
- Identify where we are spending money on things that are not a stated priority
- Identify commercial, income-generating or invest to-save options
- Identify alternative ways of meeting people’s needs
- Identify opportunities for contract efficiencies or changes to service levels
- Continue to invest in early help or preventative services where they deliver a clear benefit
- Closer integration of revenue and capital expenditure in decision making
- To set realistic budgets that recognise the realities of the service pressures that we face
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required