- What is an Electoral Review?
- What does it achieve?
- What role can the public play?
- Review timetable
- More information
Haringey is currently in the process of conducting an Electoral Review.
An Electoral Review assesses the extent to which the current ward boundaries fulfil the essential criteria set out by the Local Government Boundary Commission of England (LGBCE). As it is twenty years since Haringey’s previous review, some of its wards need to be resized. This review is not exclusive to Haringey, but is taking place across the majority of London boroughs.
There are three main aims behind an Electoral Review.
- To work towards electoral equality from one borough to the next. In a perfectly equal system every councillor would ideally represent the same number of voters, giving every vote the same value. With it being twenty years since the last review, some wards in the East of the borough in particular have become too large as the area has developed
- To better reflect the changing nature of the communities within each ward
- To create ward boundaries which make the administration and delivery of local government more efficient and effective
The LGBCE is eager to maximise public engagement in the review as it believes that it produces better results.
The Commission welcomes boundary submissions from members of the public if these are supported by robust evidence. The Commission has documents with maps and statistics on its website to aid anyone who wishes to make a partial or full submission.
There are at least two stages of official public consultation throughout the duration of the review, during which interested group are encouraged to provide their point of view.
The Consultation process is handled by the Commission, but initially mediated by the Council. We therefore ask interested groups to get in touch with their details if they would wish to get involved in the consultation process.
- Consultation on warding arrangements: 27 November 2018 to 4 February 2019
- Consultation on draft recommendations: 30 April 2019 to 8 July 2019
- Publication of final recommendations: 3 September 2019
- To find out more and have your say visit the LGBCE website (external link)
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required