Register to vote

How to register to vote

You are required by law to register yourself to vote. Each time you move home you should register to vote at your new address - paying council tax does not register you to vote. If you have become eligible to vote for the first time (if you have recently taken out British citizenship, for example) you should also register to vote.

Not only does being registered enable you to vote in elections, but it may also help your credit rating.

You must meet all 3 of the criteria below to register to vote in Haringey:

  1. Aged 16 or over (although you can’t vote until you are 18)
  2. A British Citizen, or an Irish, qualifying Commonwealth or EU citizen living in the UK - a list of qualifying countries can be found on the Electoral Commission website (PDF, 28KB - external link)
  3. A permanent resident in Haringey

You can also register to vote if you are:

Back to top

Online registration

The easiest way to register to vote is online - click on the button below.

Register to vote onlineExternal link

You will need:

  • Your National Insurance Number
  • Date of Birth

If you are unable to supply these, we will contact you for more evidence.

Contact HMRC if you cannot find your National Insurance Number (external link).

It is also possible to:

Register anonymously if you're in danger:

If your safety or that of any other person in your home will be at risk if your name or address is made public, you can register anonymously. Your name and address will not be visible to anyone inspecting the register.

To register anonymously call us on 020 8489 1000. Do not complete the online application.

Register to vote with no fixed address:

You can still register to vote even if you don't have a fixed address. This may be because you are:

  • a patient in a mental health hospital
  • a homeless person
  • a person remanded in custody

Call us on 020 8489 1000 to register with no fixed address.

Remove a person from the electoral register

If you think that people are wrongly registered at your address, you can:

  • Complete the removal e-form:

Request a removal from the electoral register

  • Send an email to confirming your name and address, along with the names of the individuals who have moved out (and their forwarding addresses, if known)
  • Call us on 020 8489 1000

As part of the removal process, letters will be sent to all those who should be deleted confirming that their entry will be removed.

Back to top

After you have registered

Once you have registered to vote, you will only need to register again if you move address, or if you change your name or nationality.

You can also use this website to change how you vote - for example to vote by post or proxy - and to remove your name from the open register.

Information about the open register can be found on the GOV.UK website (external link).

If you would prefer to receive a paper registration form please contact us on 020 8489 1000 and we will post you a form.

Students can register to vote at their term-time and home address.

Students can vote in local elections in both their term-time and home addresses if these are in different local authorities.

It is a criminal offence to vote more than once in a national election or referendum.

Back to top

Election enquiries

For further help or information, please contact us on:

Alternatively, you can write to the Electoral Registration team at:

  • The Electoral Registration Office, George Meehan House, Wood Green N22 8YX

Terms and conditions | Privacy | Accessibility

Back to top


Page last updated:

October 28, 2022