Councillors and MPs

Your local councillors and MPs

To find out more about your local councillors and MPs click on the relevant links below:

If not sure which ward you live in you can use My Haringey to search by address/postcode.

See also: Haringey Council Cabinet | Voting Co-opted Members.


The council is made up of 57 councillors. Each of the 21 wards that make up the borough have either 2 or 3 councillors, and are elected by residents of that ward every 4 years. The current political composition of the council is:

  • Labour - 49 councillors
  • Liberal Democrats - 7 councillors
  • Independent - 1 councillor 

List of Councillors by political party.

Currently, the Labour Party holds the majority of seats on the council

Local elections 5 May 2022

Back to top

What do councillors do?

Councillors make policy and take decisions on the council's budget, council priorities and how the council should be run. For example, part of their role is to make decisions on planning and licensing issues. They are supported and advised in their decision-making by officers who work in the various council departments and implement the decisions.

Councillors also champion local issues. They can help if you are dissatisfied with a council service by advising or directing you to someone who can help sort out your problem and can sometimes progress the case on your behalf. This is often done in advice surgeries where you can meet with the councillor for your ward and discuss your problem.

As community leaders they put forward proposals to improve their ward, which may include bringing together different community groups to develop a case for change.

Back to top

Councillor allowances / expenses

Councillors are entitled to receive or to claim a range of allowances for undertaking their council duties. Details of the Members’ Allowance Scheme can be found in Part 6 of the Council Constitution.

We publish a list of allowances and expenses claimed by our councillors and co-opted members each May in the minutes of the Full Council meeting. See Part 6 of the Council Constitution for the latest information.

Back to top

Your local councillors

To find out more about your local councillors, including when they hold their surgeries, click on the link below:

If not sure which ward you live in you can use My Haringey to search by address/postcode.

If you are interested in becoming a Haringey councillor and would like to know more see our how to become a Haringey councillor page.

Back to top

Contact your local councillors

You can write to your councillor at:

River Park House
225 High Road
Wood Green
N22 8HQ

Back to top

Surgery details

Councillor surgeries provide an opportunity for you to meet your ward councillors in person and to discuss local issues.

Details of councillor surgeries (including times, dates and location map) can be found by clicking on the name of the relevant councillor - see who are my local councillors?

Back to top

Your MPs (Members of Parliament)

Haringey is divided into two parliamentary constituencies, Tottenham, and Wood Green and Hornsey.

Members of Parliament (MPs) are elected by a particular area or constituency in Britain to represent them in the House of Commons. MPs divide their time between their constituency and the Houses of Parliament in London. Once elected it is an MP's job to represent all the people in his or her constituency. An MP can ask Government Ministers questions, speak about issues in the House of Commons and consider and propose new laws.

To find out who your MP is and further details about MPs see useful external links section below.

Back to top

Page last updated:

March 10, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)