Haringey Census Statistics
The Census is a survey of all people and households in the UK and has been carried out every 10 years since 1801. The last Census was held on 27 March 2011.
The Census is the most comprehensive source of information about the population available. It is important because every effort is made to include everyone so it sketches a detailed picture of the entire population.
The Census provides information that allows central and local government and other organisations to target their resources more effectively to provide the best services possible.
The Business Intelligence Team has produced ward profiles and other analysis from the 2011 Census.
Below are some of the key findings from the 2011 Census:
- Haringey has a total population of 254,900. 49.5% of the population are male and 50.5% are female.
- 63,400 of the population are aged between 0 and 19. This is 24.9% of the total population. This is proportionately higher than both London (24.5%) and England and Wales (24.0%)
- 169,100 of the population are 20-64. This is 66.3% of the total population. This is proportionately higher than both London (64.4%) and England and Wales 59.6%)
- 22,400 of the population are 65+. This is 8.8% of the total population. This is proportionately less than both London (11.1%) and England and Wales (16.4%)
- 65.3% of the Haringey population are made up of non-white British Ethnic Groups. This is higher than both London (55.1%) and England and Wales (19.5%). The top three of these ethnic groups are:
- Other White (23.0%)
- Black African (9.0%)
- Black Caribbean (7.1%)
Projections - Office of National Statistics 2011 Sub National Population Projections
- By 2021, it is projected that the Haringey population will be 286,774. This will be made up of:
- 60,664 (21.2%) will be 0 – 17 - (London 22.6%, England 21.7%)
- 199,188 (69.5%) will be 18-64 - (London 65.8%, England 59.6%)
- 26,923 (9.4%) will 65+ - (London 11.5%, England 18.7%)
The ONS website has a custom age tool (external link) that shows Haringey population estimates by age ranges and gender.
Download the reports
You can download Census information about Haringey by following the links below:
- Census 2011 - Haringey population (PDF, 619KB)
- Census 2011 - Briefing on Key statistics tables (PDF, 942KB)
- 2011 Population Statistics (PDF, 516KB)
Key statistics tables, data and analysis can be found in the spreadsheet below
Quick statistics tables and detailed characteristics datasets are available on the Nomis website (external link).
- See also the the Indices of Multiple Deprivation 2015
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel 020 8489 6954
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required