Railway Fields Local Nature Reserve
Green Lanes (opposite Harringay Green Lanes Station), N4 1ES.
- Open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, last Saturday of each month and alternate Sundays. Please call 020 8348 6005 before visiting
Green Flag Award
Railway fields was first awarded the Green Flag Award in 2004 and has retained it ever since.
About Railway Fields
Located just off the busy and bustling road of Green Lanes, behind magnificent iron gates lies one of Haringey’s most hidden and wonderful treasures. The two-acre Green Flag award site of Railway Fields is one of three Local Nature Reserves in Haringey. In the 1950s the site was used as a railway goods yard and even today coal can still be found on site.
The council acquired the land in the early 1980s and in 1986 turned the site into a wildlife haven and environmental teaching centre for local schools. In 1990 Railway Fields was officially declared a statutory Local Nature Reserve. The site is currently managed by conservation charity The Conservation Volunteers (TCV).
- See the The Conservation Volunteers website (external link) for more information
On entering the magnificent gates, the site felt intriguing and inviting. Lush vegetation blocked out noise from the surrounding streets, which made the site feel peaceful and secure.
They went on to say that
The whole site felt totally natural and untampered with, in a controlled and sensitive way and the strong emphasis on developing and encouraging biodiversity is very evident.
Find out more about the Green Flag award, or to discover and comment on how Railway Fields is managed read the Railway Fields Local Nature Reserve Management Plan 2020 (PDF, 1.8MB)
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required
Use Parks Responsibly
Please be responsible for your own, and others' safety when using our parks:
- Use parks for exercise only – walk, jog, cycle, dog walking
- Don’t go out if you feel unwell
- Always ensure adequate social distancing
- Outdoor gyms, skateparks and ballcourts are closed
- Playgrounds remain open – please follow guidance when using them
- Keep your dog on a lead
- Use hand sanitiser and wash your hands when you get home