Muswell Hill Playing Fields
Muswell Hill Playing Fields is situated in Haringey and lies on the borough’s north eastern boundary, close to the A406 North Circular Road.
The site is nearly 10 hectares in size and is listed as a ‘site of local importance for nature conservation'.
Like most parks and open spaces it is designated as Metropolitan Open Land. Metropolitan Open Land gives protection to open spaces and can only be built on where the building adds to, or supports, recreational activity ie paths, tennis courts, play facilities, café, toilets, changing accommodation, parks compound, limited access parking etc.
There are 6 usable grass soccer pitches, plus a further pitch, which is subject to flooding and one separate space that is historically a cricket pitch. Temporary changing room accommodation and welfare facilities for Parks ground staff are also available on site.
Extensive consultation took place with local residents and interest groups in 2008 to inform decisions as to what improvements should be made. The project was formally introduced in September 2008 at the Muswell Hill Area Assembly meeting. The results of the consultation can be found in the attached files section below.
Based on the discussions and survey results a Master Plan was drawn up and the project costed. Proposals for a phased approach to construction based on available funding were proposed and approved by the council’s decision-making Cabinet in April 2009. Plans, highlighting the new play and sports provision can be found in the attached files section below.
A Planning Application for the whole of the master plan was submitted and approved by Planning Committee in November 2009.
A works contractor was appointed following a tender process and work commenced in February 2010 and was completed in August.
The area developed has been restricted to the former cricket pitch and to internal paths leading to it. The new mini-park facilities consist of:
- a double size floodlit multi use training area, which is available for hire in the evenings. Call Fusion Lifestyle on 020 8881 2323 for availability and bookings. Free Public use applies at all other times or where there are no evening hires
- 3 children’s playground areas including one that features natural play like fallen trees, logs, grass mounds and boulders.
- A skateboard park designed as a street plaza, the first of its kind in London.
- 90 new trees have been planted with shrub beds, new lit access paths constructed with benches and bins
The new mini-park was opened in November 2010 by Cllrs Dogus, Engert and Newton.
The council is continuing to raise capital to carry out further improvements which include the construction of a new community, sports pavilion and café / toilets and football pitch drainage improvements.
If you would like any further information regarding the planned improvements to Muswell Hill Playing Fields or to give your views please submit to Parks Service using our park e-form, or call 020 8489 1000.
|MHPF Update - April 09.pdf||357.34 KB|
|MHPF - Consultation Questionnaire.pdf||302.53 KB|
|MHPF Updated Consultation Results.pdf||74.53 KB|
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required
Use Parks Responsibly
Please be responsible for your own, and others' safety when using our parks:
- Use parks for exercise only – walk, jog, cycle, dog walking
- Don’t go out if you feel unwell
- Always ensure adequate social distancing
- Outdoor gyms, skateparks and ballcourts are closed
- Playgrounds remain open – please follow guidance when using them
- Keep your dog on a lead
- Use hand sanitiser and wash your hands when you get home