Easter Fun! There is an extensive programme of activities running in Haringey for children and young people during the Easter holidays.
Winton Avenue, N11.
- The site is an area of ancient woodland used for dog walking
- There are signs/noticeboards at the entrances and a small number of bins
About the park
Bluebell Wood is a small remnant of one of the ancient woodlands of London. It is situated at the end of Winton Avenue and is bordered by Muswell Hill golf course, Winton Avenue and the Golf Course Allotments. Just over an acre in size, it is open at all times and is a popular place for local people to walk their dogs.
Dominated by sessile oak, the wood is home to a variety of wildlife including midland hawthorn, wild service tree. Birds including song thrush, chaffinch and magpie are commonly seen as well as butterflies and mammals such as squirrel, hedgehog and wood mouse.
Despite its name, there are no native bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) to be found here; only the occasional Spanish hybrid that has spread from neighbouring gardens.
Bluebell Wood is covered under the UK Woodland Assurance Standard. TCV carry out occasional volunteer days in the Wood but predominantly it is a minimum intervention site.
Increasing interest for use by schools and groups.
History of the park
The wood is the last surviving fragment of what was once a much larger woodland, Tottenham Wood, which in 1619 covered 157 hectares.
- TCV undertake two visits a year to undertake nature conservation works via volunteers
- There is potential for a Friends Group to be developed covering Bluebell and Tunnel Gardens - Nature Conservation Officer
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required
Use Parks Responsibly
Please be responsible for your own, and others' safety when using our parks:
- Use parks for exercise only – walk, jog, cycle, dog walking
- Don’t go out if you feel unwell
- Always ensure adequate social distancing
- Outdoor gyms, skateparks and ballcourts are closed
- Playgrounds remain open – please follow guidance when using them
- Keep your dog on a lead
- Use hand sanitiser and wash your hands when you get home