Trees can be sponsored across the borough in various locations. They can be placed in the street outside your home or office or in your local park. Sponsoring a tree can be used as a way of celebrating a special occasion or to commemorate a loved one. You are also improving your surrounding environment. Trees clean the air by soaking up harmful pollutants. They soften the urban landscape and can increase property values, while providing homes and food for local wildlife.
You sponsor the cost and planting of the tree and we’ll do the hard work. Once the tree has been planted, we will provide you with some handy tips on how to take care of the tree. We do encourage sponsors to get involved in the aftercare of the tree as this can be a rewarding experience. Young trees require at least three years aftercare.
Trees are planted between November and April to give them the best possible chance of establishing. Some examples of suitable species and costs are listed below. Please remember that these tree species are just a guide. If you have a suggestion of your own, please feel free to discuss this with us.
Sponsor a Street Tree
£250 (cost as of January 2020)
- Flowering Cherry (Prunus pandora) – small tree with ascending branches with pale pink blossom in March and early April
- Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna 'Stricta') – small tree with a narrow columnar habit, good for tight spaces, white flowers in spring
- Ornamental Pear (Pyrus calleryana 'Chanticleer') – medium size tree with columnar habit, leaves turn orange and red in the autumn
- Rowan (Sorbus aucuparia 'Sheerwater seedling') - medium size tree with columnar habit, leaves turn orange and red in the autumn
- Serviceberry (Amelanchier arborea 'Robin Hill') – small tree with rounded crown, white flowers in spring and leaves turn red in the autumn
- Swedish whitebeam (Sorbus intermedia 'Brouwers') – medium size tree with ascending branches, white flowers in spring produces red berries in September
Sponsor a Park Tree
£250 (cost as of January 2020)
There are a wider variety of trees available to plant in Parks – we can recommend species prior to confirming the planting of your sponsored tree.
How to sponsor a tree
- Parks and Client Services
1st Floor River Park House
225 High Road
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required
Use Parks Responsibly
Please be responsible for your own, and others' safety when using our parks:
- Don’t go out if you feel unwell
- Keep your dog on a lead
- Stay 2m from other people
- All facilities are open – please follow guidance when using them
- Put your litter in a bin, or take it home
- Use hand sanitiser and wash your hands when you get home