Green Flag reports 2018
We have received updated feedback from Keep Britain Tidy on Finsbury Park and Downhills Park, following their initial red ratings. The initial reports highlighted improvements to be carried out, which we have made. However, on re-inspection, Keep Britain Tidy has highlighted a different list of perceived issues.
Haringey respects the Green Flag scheme and welcomes the monitoring that comes with it – that is why we voluntarily signed up. Following the inspections which began this summer, we are also asking whether other boroughs have faced a similar level of inspection.
We know there are improvements that can be made, and we will of course continue to make them – this will include carrying out regular inspections in partnership with the Friends groups in future. However, we do not believe that the suggested ratings are a fair assessment and are concerned about some of the comments made. We are now in discussion with Keep Britain Tidy about how the scheme is being marked and handled and the methodology of the inspection regime.
Other issues we are raising with Keep Britain Tidy include:
- How can the Green Flag assessment of risk differ so much from our highly respected, independent play inspector’s? Usual guidance is that independent inspections should be taken annually, however we do them quarterly.
- What we perceive to be inappropriate use of Twitter and a breach of confidence when judging one Haringey park.
- We need to be clear on the methodology Keep Britain Tidy employ in how they determine what parks are mystery shopped. The methodology currently in use has resulted in all Haringey parks being inspected/mystery shopped – is this their usual approach?
- We are still awaiting the clarification we have asked KBT for on a range of points.
Cllr Kirsten Hearn, Cabinet Member for Environment, said:
“We want a constructive relationship with Keep Britain Tidy and value the Green Flag scheme – we signed up to it voluntarily to celebrate our parks and to ensure that we are keeping them to the highest standards. However, we do have concerns about the recent inspections and are asking Keep Britain Tidy for clarity on how the scheme is delivered. We are not saying our parks are perfect – we know there is work to do. But we are incredibly proud of Haringey’s green spaces and certainly do not feel that, following the round of improvements we have made, these parks are anywhere near the ratings suggested. Working together is the best way to ensure our parks continue to be a success.”
The reports can be read here:
- Improvements made so far - January 2019 (PDF, 87KB)
- Downhills Park - 21 December 2018 (PDF, 45KB)
- Finsbury Park - 21 December 2018 (PDF, 55KB)
This first batch of reports covers 11 of our parks.
- Belmont Rec - 29 October 2018 (PDF, 221KB)
- Chapmans Green - 10 September 2018 (PDF, 411KB)
- Coldfall Wood - 29 October 2018 (PDF, 521KB)
- Downhills Park - 4 October 2018 (PDF, 1MB)
- Fairland Park - 29 October 2018 (PDF, 132KB)
- Finsbury Park - 3 October 2018 (PDF, 3MB)
- Parkland Walk - 29 October 2018 (PDF, 179KB)
- Queens Wood - 29 October 2018 (PDF, 178KB)
- Railway Fields - 11 September 2018 (PDF, 1MB)
- Stationers Park - 11 September 2018 (PDF, 1MB)
- Tottenham Green - 10 September 2018 (PDF, 1MB)
Reports from the second batch are available below. There are a handful of issues we are still discussing with Keep Britain Tidy.
- Albert Rec - 10 September 2018 (PDF, 4.2MB)
- Bruce Castle Park - 7 November 2018 (PDF, 1.9MB)
- Down Lane Park - 7 November 2018 (PDF, 980KB)
- Ducketts Common - 29 October 2018 (PDF, 289KB)
- Lordship Rec - 7 November 2018 (PDF, 1MB)
- Markfield Park - 7 November 2018 (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Priory Park - 29 October 2018 (PDF, 933KB)
- Russell Park - 7 November 2018 (PDF, 167KB)
- Woodside Park - 29 October 2018 (PDF, 450KB)
Reports from the third batch are available below.
Page Last Updated:
Give us feedback about this page
Park opening and closing times
Our parks are opened at dawn and locked at dusk. These times change depending on the time of year so for more detailed closing times please see our Approximate Park Locking Times (Word, 55KB)