Keep reading and stay connected
The Reader is a national organisation that works to bring people together and books to life. They do this through shared reading, a simple yet powerful tool to get everyone talking and moods lifted.
During the COVID-19 outbreak, The Reader is transforming the way we deliver shared reading - using digital platforms, telephone and social media to offer company and connection wherever we can.
You can find out more about everything The Reader has to offer and register your interest on their website:
There are lots of ways you can get involved - you'll see there is something for everybody!
- Readings for testing times: Curated reads to relax to, available online via the volunteer newsletter and through social media for all volunteers, group members, partners and the general public
- Digital shared reading: Videos of readings to relax to. Live-streamed Shared Reading sessions on Facebook. Online Shared Reading groups held via Zoom
- Shared reading on the phone: For absolutely everyone who signs up
- Life lines: Print-ready Shared Reading activity packs for organisations looking for creative activitis for their communities
- The virtual mansion house: Weekly blogs and digital archive pieces bringing the history of The Reader’s home to your front room
- For children and families: Storybarn read of the week and recommended texts. Weekly Storybarn Facebook Live sessions
- For those in the criminal justice sector: Pre-prepared, easy to print activity packs for prison residents to enjoy in-cell
- For care homes and mental health wards: Reading bundles and a DIY Shared Reading Guide for settings needing activity for residents
- Volunteer engagement, retention and support: Twice-weekly online Shared Reading sessions and monthly support sessions for all our volunteers
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please click the button below.