COVID-19: Library Services Currently Available
- Services available from 17 May 2021
- What visitors cannot do
- COVID-19 safety measures
- Libraries revised opening times
- Library book fines
- Online resources
In line with Step 3 of the government's roadmap plans, we are pleased to announce that most of our libraries have reopened, with further revisions to our opening times. In addition to access to public computers and short visits to browse bookshelves, we are able to offer bookable indoor events and meeting rooms (rule of 6 or two households apply). More details are available below.
Our libraries will be available for:
- Access to Computers and printing and Click and Collect are available at most sites (except for Stroud Green Library, which is closed due to major refurbishments)
- Visits of up to 20 minutes to browse shelves and use of new self-service kiosks for borrowing and returning items (except for Alexandra Park Library has it prepares for refurbishments)
- Book study desks and use our free WiFi - only at Wood Green, Hornsey and Marcus Garvey libraries
- Collection of Pre-ordered Ready Reads (books selected by librarians) and reservations (specific titles) online in advance or through our dedicated telephone line: 020 8489 2700, Monday to Saturday, 9am to 5pm
- Home Library Service for the most vulnerable.
This means that:
- Stroud Green and Harringay Library will remain closed until the refurbishments have completed
- Alexandra Park Library is only available for computer access as it prepares for planned refurbishment. Access to stock is unavailable
- Fines will not be charged for overdue books and reservation charges will be removed for items that are in stock in our catalogue. Charges will still apply for purchased stock requests
- Library overdue charges will be waived for any fines applied between 23 March 2020 to 16 May 2021
Return Drop Boxes
Users can return books to the designed ‘Drop Box’ situated in our libraries. Items will be placed into quarantine before being removed from accounts.
Collect preselected bags (Ready Reads) and/or specific titles ordered in advance online or by phone. You will get notified when to collect at specific dates and time.
- Ready Reads
Ready Reads is a new way to borrow books from Haringey libraries. Simply let us know what you like to read, and we’ll choose a selection of books for you. You won’t be able to request specific authors or titles, but we’ll do our best to find books you’ll enjoy. There are six books in each pack and only one pack is available per library card. We will contact you when they are ready to collect. There are two ways to order your pack:
- by phone - call us on 020 8489 2700 from Monday to Saturday, 10am to 4pm
- via the dedicated Ready Reads online form.
- Request specific titles
You can request specific titles and collect them from your chosen library by visiting our library catalogue. Alternatively, you can call us on 020 8489 2700 from Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
Important: If you want to use a computer at any of our libraries during COVID-19 you must book in advance.
To comply with social distancing requirements, we have had to reduce capacity and computer use is restricted to one hour per day.
Study spaces and library Wi-Fi
Study spaces and access to our free wi-fi are only available at Wood Green, Hornsey and Marcus Garvey libraries. These can be booked using the same booking system for PCs, or alternatively please speak to one of our staff via 020 8489 2700.
A dedicated service for the most vulnerable. For more info, see our dedicated Home Library Service page.
This means that currently, visitors cannot:
- use seating areas
- use a computer without booking in advance
- access wi-fi if not booked into a dedicated study area
- read paper newspapers or periodicals
In line with government guidance, visitors and staff must wear face coverings all the time, unless they are exempt (external link). Please do not visit the library if you’re self-isolating or have COVID-19 symptoms.
On arrival, you need to check-in using the NHS COVID-19 app (external link). Alternatively, a member of staff will take your details.
This is to assist NHS Test and Trace to contact individuals in the event of a local coronavirus outbreak. If requested, your details will be released to NHS Test and Trace only and no other party. Your details will be kept securely and destroyed by senior library officers after 21 days.
In addition, we have made changes to layouts and are asking visitors to limit the amount of time they spend in the library. Social distancing measures are in place including:
- queue management
- screens on Information Points
- hand sanitiser stations
- quarantine areas for returned books (books are kept in quarantine for 72 hours)
- customers and staff are required to wear face coverings inside the library
- increased cleaning of frequently handled areas including computers
|Stroud Green and Harringay||Closed due to major refurbishments|
We will remove overdue charges for items that were applied between 23 March 2020 to 16 May 2021. You can still view your account online. If you need to discuss items on your account, please contact us on 020 8489 2700.
Find out more on our Borrowing and charges page.
We have a wide range of library online services that you can explore - eBooks, audiobooks, newspapers, research tools and other online resources.