Borrowing and charges
What we offer
- Library members can borrow books, eBooks and eAudiobooks, language courses free of charge
- There is a small charge for borrowing music CDs, audiobooks and DVDs
- An affordable and attractive Audio/Visual subscription offer
- Members may borrow up to 12 books/audiobooks, 8 CDs and 4 DVDs to a maximum of 24 items
- You may keep each item for 3 weeks (6 weeks for language courses)
- DVDs may only be borrowed for one week
- Loans are made to those who are able to visit our libraries personally
- There is also a Home Library Service for people who are unable to visit our libraries in person
Fees and charges
We introduced a comprehensive range of concessions for young people, over 65s and those in receipt of certain benefits and financial support, as well as introducing an affordable audio/visual subscription offer, where hire charges are not applied during the subscription period (Overdue fines apply).
Concessionary rates are for library members who are:
- 16 to 24 year old
- over 65
- in receipt of certain benefits and financial support, such as:
- job seekers allowance, housing benefit or Universal Credit
- employment and support allowance or pension credit
- disability living allowance, personal independence payment or with other verification of long-standing disability
Reservation charges are no longer applied to stock that is available in our catalogue, including if items are out on loan. If a particular item is not in the catalogue, the administration fee will apply (see details below).
|Description||Standard adult membership|
|Under 16s memberships|
Reservations (for items available in our catalogue)
Reservations on items Requested to Order (for items not available in our catalogue)
Overdue items (except DVDs/Blu-Rays)
|25p per item per day||15p per item per day||Free|
|Maximum charge per item (except DVDs/Blu-Rays)||£6||£3||Free|
|Audio/Visual Subscription||Annual £20|
Music CDs hire charge per item
|DVDs / Blu-Rays hire charge per item||N/A|
|Overdue DVDs/Blu-Rays||If DVDs and Blu-Ray are overdue, full hire charges will apply for every additional hire period stated up to maximum charge (see below). Also, see note on outstanding charges below.||N/A|
|Maximum charge per overdue DVDs/Blu-Rays||N/A|
|Spoken word (audiobooks)||£1||50p but free for Over 65s||Free|
Lost/stolen Library Card charge
|First replacement is free; £1 per replacement thereafter|
|Small ads||£3 per 3-week period (ads should be no larger than A5)|
|Printing and photocopying per side of sheet|
|Scan to email||5p per side of sheet per recipient|
The reservation charge is an administrative charge and is payable upon making the reservation. It is not a guarantee that an item can be supplied. We aim to fulfil the majority of requests but occasionally this is not possible, if so, you will be notified.
Please note: any charges that have been outstanding for 3 months or more will result in your account being blocked.
In order to start using your account again, you will need to clear the outstanding balance. If charges accumulate to £10 or more, your account will again be automatically blocked.