Black History Month
October is Black History Month
Black History Month 2019
This year’s Black History Month programme promises an impressive line-up with a variety of activities and events designed to celebrate the achievements and contributions of black people in the UK.
This year’s headline event will be the unveiling of an Oliver Tambo Statue in Albert Road Recreation Ground on Sunday 27 October at 2pm.
This year’s other key events include:
- Launch event on Tuesday 1 October at Wood Green Library
- Film screening of the critically acclaimed film The Nine Muses
- Haringey Council Leader’s quiz night
- Black History Month Community fair Market
- Closing Event at Bruce Castle Museum
- A discussion panel and talk on the life of legendary footballer Laurie Cunningham
See our Black History Month programme for a list of the events planned for the month:
You can also view listings by date and name:
Black in Haringey
In 2016 we produced ‘Black in Haringey’ - a groundbreaking documentary about the history of black people in Haringey. The documentary features interviews with actress Judith Jacobs, David Lammy MP and the owners of Haringey businesses including Body Music, Blooming Scent Cafe and Uncle John’s Bakery.
Watch the documentary now:
Note for iPhone users and Youtube. There is a known bug with iOS and Youtube, Two buttons are read before the player but provide no functionality. We advise that you skip these to access the content.