Committed to helping you develop
As a council, we're determined to do the very best we can for the community we serve. Our performance depends largely on that of our people. So we've ensured that every employee here at Haringey has the chance to develop new skills and enhance existing ones, through first-class training and development, delivered through a combination of classroom-based, online approaches, and through sharing knowledge and skills with colleagues.
To develop your performance - and ours – you will have ongoing discussions with your line manager, about how you’re performing, what you’re expected to achieve, and where you want to develop your skills. You'll have the chance to discuss your current skills, and how you measure up to the council’s values. This information is recorded in My Conversation which serves to guide your progress and development.
Through this scheme, which we call ‘My Conversation’, you'll have access to learning resources, designed to enhance your abilities. Find out more about Haringey's My Conversation (PDF, 4MB)
To achieve excellence, we need to continue to develop. This means being flexible, adapting to our changing environment and learning from experience, so that we can continuously improve on what we do. The Academy uses a new approach to learning and development, which moves away from traditional classroom based training to provide you with tools and content which is relevant and up-to-date, which you can access anytime/anywhere. Every member of staff has access to a range of Communities on Fuse, depending on your job role. Our goal is to help you do your job better, smarter, quicker.
Haringey FUSE is an online space where you can find out about events, courses, and other routes to learning and sharing skills which can help you as an individual, or your service.
Through FUSE, you can access tutorials and courses on:
- Business skills - procurement, budgets, health and safety, project management and customer service, Information Technology
- Self-development and personal effectiveness - designed to help you work, develop and communicate more effectively
- Leadership and management – to guide new managers through their responsibilities, and support existing managers in honing their skills
Courses specific to particular services, for example:
- Adult social care - covering Dementia, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and the Mental Capacity Act (MCA)
- Children and families courses - covering child protection, preparation for court and speakeasy
E-Learning is available online at any time, on a range of subjects.
FUSE also offers:
- Career development guidance - which includes our graduate trainee scheme, Haringey apprenticeships, access to career coaching and a mentoring scheme
- ‘How to ...’ videos to help you get to grips with some of the basics about working for Haringey
- Opportunities to join online discussion forums with other staff, to improve your understanding of your role – or to help others improve theirs.