Political Restrictions

From January 2010, the Local Democracy, Economic Development and Construction Act removed the need for local authorities to maintain a list of posts which were politically restricted by virtue of earning above a certain salary. Posts are now considered to be politically restricted or not depending upon duties of the post.

In summary, restricted political activity includes:

  • becoming a Councillor, an MP or an MEP
  • announcing their candidature for election to a local authority, the House of Commons or the European Parliament
  • being an officer of a political party
  • canvassing on behalf of a political party or on behalf of a person seeking election
  • acting as an election agent or subagent for an individual
  • speaking in public where there is an intention to affect public support for a political party
  • to publish work which appears to be intended to affect public support for a political party.

Certain jobs are restricted from undertaking any form of political activity, while others require the prior authorisation of the Head of HR. Full details are given in the procedure below.

Back to top


Page last updated:

February 20, 2023

Haringey Careers on social media

 Linked In



Why work for Haringey

We are a Disability Confident Employer

We are a Stonewall Diversity Champion

Top 75 Employer kitemark