Apply for OR reconfirm your 30 hours eligibility code to receive 30 hours free childcare.
Parent Champion Volunteers
- What is a Parent Champion volunteer?
- How does it work?
- How does it benefit me?
- How do I volunteer?
- Family and Childcare Trust
When it comes to finding out about what's happening locally, parents are usually the best people to help.
"Being a Parent Champion is a great opportunity to share my experience with other parents."
Mihriban Tanyildiz, mum of 3
A Parent Champion volunteers for a few hours each week to chat to other parents about local services and free early learning opportunities for eligible two-year olds and all three and four-year olds. They also use these opportunities to talk to other parents about the many benefits of early learning for their children.
Parent Champions can talk with other parents informally - sharing information and their own positive experiences about using local services and childcare. Mums and/or dads, grandparents, carers from all communities are welcomed.
- Read the Family and Childcare Trust article about the DfEs Director of Early Years and Childcare visit (external link) with Haringey's Parent Champion Volunteers
- Watch the Family and Childcare Trust's film about the impact local authorities and Parent Champions - including Haringey, are having on their communities:
- You would need to commit to around five hours each week, for a minimum of six months. You should normally be able to fit it in around your family, study or other commitments.
- Training and support is provided by the local authority and the Coram Family and Childcare - with the option of also working towards an accredited level 1 training certificate in Parent Champions - awarded for by Open College Network London Region (OCN London).
- Once trained, Parent Champions will work in and around children's centres and areas like libraries, local playgroups, Job Centres, ESOL classes, school gates, Health Centres, community events.
- You would talk with individuals or small groups about the value of free early learning for 2, 3 and 4-year-olds.
- You could help parents to find further information and advice by signposting them to services which meet their particular needs.
- You could help parents access information from a children's centre or accompany them for the first time to use local facilities.
Being a Parent Champion volunteer is perfect for personal and professional development.
"As a Parent Champion, I'm glad to be doing more for my community."
Rose Afua Dadzie, mum of 2
You’ll gain valuable skills and experience that could improve your chances of getting a job or help make a change in your career.
Accredited level 1 training certificate in Parent Champions - awarded for by Open College Network London Region (OCN London).
The role you play as a Parent Champion also allows you to meet various people, make new friends, be part of a team, and boost your general confidence. As a parent, you’ll also learn how to best support and help your own family.
A great opportunity to ensure your community are informed about services and support available in the borough
To register your interest in future training sessions for new volunteers, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Haringey’s Parent Champion Volunteers is part of a nation-wide Parent Champions programme run by the Coram Family and Childcare. There are hundreds of Parent Champions across the country today talking to other parents about free childcare and the local services available - helping families get the support they need.
Further information on Parent Champions can be found on the Coram Family and Childcare website (external link)
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about the website
We are currently running a short survey about our Covid-19 response and information. You can take the Covid-19 survey here.
Contact us about our services
Please note if you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
Give us feedback about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve the website.
Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?
* = response required