Haringey Adult Learning
About Haringey Adult Learning Service (HALS)
HALS has been offering high quality local learning opportunities for over 20 years. We offer courses across a range of locations with a choice of day, evening and weekend hours, many of which are still free of charge. Our main HALS Learning Centre is located in Wood Green Library and we offer modern, well-equipped, supportive learning environments.
We work in close partnership with the Skills Funding Agency, local schools, libraries, employers, other local learning organisations and voluntary/community organisations to ensure that we constantly improve standards of provision.
HALS courses are offered at a variety of venues around the borough and at different times of the day and week. You have the opportunity to discuss your learning needs before, during or after attending a HALS course, and you will be given support in order to find out what else you can do and progress onto.
HALS Courses starting in September, October and November 2018
To enrol onto a course, book an initial assessment on 020 8489 2596 / 2523, or come in person to HALS, 2nd Floor, Wood Green Library, High Road, N22 6XD.
- Download the HALS Course Guide 2018-19 (PDF, 1MB) for a full list of courses and fees
Day, evening and Saturday courses are available for people 19 and over and include:
- Level 2 Award in Introduction to Counselling Skills (CPCAB)
Parent and Well-being Toolkit
- One day workshops
- Using a computer for complete beginners
- Introducing Word Intermediate
- Functional Skills ICT Entry 2 and 3
Accredited ICT courses
- ITQ (MS Office) Level 1 and 2
MS Office Skills:
- MS Office Skills - Word, mail merge and labels (Intermediate)
- MS Office Skills - Creating a spreadsheet
- MS Office Skills - Excel formulae and functions (Intermediate)
- MS Office Skills - Excel charts and graphs (Intermediate)
- MS Office Skills - PowerPoint, developing a presentation (Intermediate)
- MS Office Skills - Preparing slideshows in a presentation
- Organising Photos and documents in files and folders
Skills for life – English and Maths
Our free English courses offer help with reading, writing, spelling and communication skills in a range of contexts and various purposes. The learners will essentially develop and recognise their ability to apply and transfer skills in ways that are appropriate to their situations at all levels. All courses offer opportunities to take nationally recognised qualifications.
- Improve Your English – Lower Intermediate E2
- Improve Your English – Intermediate Entry 3
- Improve Your English – Upper Intermediate Level 1
- Improve Your Writing Skills – Entry 1/Entry 2
- Improve Your Writing Skills – Entry 3/Level 1 and 2
Our free Maths courses offer help with numbers and fractions, measuring shapes and space, data handling and statistical measuring. All courses offer opportunities to take nationally recognised qualifications.
- Improve Your Maths – Beginners Entry Levels
- Improve Your Maths – Intermediate Entry 3
- Improve Your Maths – Upper Intermediate Level 1
- Improve your Maths – Preparation for Level 2
- Improve your Maths – Advanced Level 2
ESOL courses are designed for people whose first language is not English. We offer courses at all levels. Each course is tailored to help you study at a level that is appropriate for you, and aims to:
- Help you to cope better with everyday life in the UK
- Develop your English skills to improve your employment prospects
- Provide you with a qualification in English
- Enable you to progress to an academic or vocational course
- Basic Beginners – Pre-entry
- Beginners - Entry 1
- Lower Intermediate – Entry 2
- Intermediate – Entry 3
- Upper Intermediate – Level 1
Other provision includes
- Community Learning
- Family Learning
- Learner Support (Learning and Employment)
- Programme for 'Different Strokes'
- Wood Green Learning Centre
Wood Green Library
- Tel 020 8489 2596/2523
- Email email@example.com.
Also see the HALS programme page for enrolment and course details.
Map links are available in the external links section below.
Page Last Updated:
How can we improve this page?
Use this form to let us know what you think of this page. All comments are reviewed by us once every week.
This form is not for service issues or requests - all such comments should go to Customer Services.
* = response required