Property Licensing Consultation
This Consultation has been extended - Consultation now ends on 5 September 2021
We are seeking your views on our proposal to introduce a new property licensing scheme. This scheme will cover properties that are privately rented to single households or two individuals.
Haringey is a vibrant, diverse borough where people want to work and live. Meeting the increased demand for housing has seen a growth in our private rented sector. Unfortunately, not all privately rented property is of a good condition or managed effectively by landlords and agents, and this has resulted in various housing issues. There is evidence of poor housing conditions and antisocial behaviour in areas of our borough that also suffer from high levels of deprivation.
Evidence gathering and research has been carefully carried out to identify those areas we believe would benefit from a property licensing scheme.
The council is proposing a scheme that will cover 14 wards within the borough and run for a period of 5 years. All properties in the area that are privately rented to single households (or two sharers) will need to have a licence to be legally let.
Please note any of the areas proposed may be subject to change as a result of this consultation, so your views matter to us. See the survey link below for a full list of the areas included.
Due to the size of the areas included, approval to have such a scheme will need to be agreed locally by the council’s Cabinet and then by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG). If approved, the scheme could be introduced in 2022.
This ‘Selective’ property licensing scheme will complement the already existing additional licensing scheme for Houses in Multiple Occupation. If this scheme goes ahead, it will mean any privately rented property within the designation will have to have a licence from the council to operate.
Have your say
Please click on the button below to complete the survey.
This consultation has been extended to Sunday 5 September 2021.
Want to know more?
- View the Selective Property Licensing proposed designation 1 (PDF, 39KB)
- View the Selective Property Licensing proposed designation 2 (PDF, 36KB)
- View the Selective Property Licensing Evidence Report (PDF, 1MB)
- View the Selective Property Licensing Proposed Property Conditions (PDF, 99KB)
- View the Selective Property Licensing Proposed Fee Structure (PDF, 19KB)
- The State of the Borough profile report - November 2019 (PDF, 2.46MB)
Attend an event
All are welcome to attend one of our online events where you will have the opportunity to find out more about the proposed Additional Licensing Scheme and share your feedback.
If you would like to provide specific feedback or have any questions please email email@example.com or call freephone 0800 0730 348
Follow the links below to book on Eventbrite:
- Workshop 1 - Wednesday 16 June 2021, 7pm to 8.30pm - this event has been cancelled. Sorry for any inconvenience
- Workshop 2 - Monday 5 July 2021, 6pm to 7.30pm (external link)
- Workshop 3 - Friday 16 July 2021, 3pm to 4.30pm (external link)
- Workshop 4 - Wednesday 21 July 2021, 7pm to 8.30pm (external link)
Once we have consulted with our residents and stakeholders, the council will use the findings to inform our decision. We will publish the results of the consultation and our decision on this web page in September 2021.
Page last updated:
Tell us what you think about this page
Please use this space to tell us how we can improve this page, or the website in general.
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.
* = response required