Should my property have an HMO licence?

We're committed to providing residents who wish to rent in Haringey with good quality, safe accommodation which is managed by responsible landlords or letting agents. This means working with landlords to create a more professional rented sector, and tackling those who mistreat or fail to provide a good, safe home to their tenants.

To help achieve this, as well as the Government’s Mandatory Licensing Scheme, we have introduced licensing for all other types of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) through the designation of a borough-wide Additional HMO Licensing Scheme.

Landlords who fail to licence risk enforcement from the Council.

Mandatory HMO licence

A HMO requires a mandatory HMO licence if it is occupied by five or more persons, unless it is:

  • a Section 257 HMO, ie a building converted into self-contained flats where the works of conversion do not comply with the Building Regulations 1991 or subsequent regulations in force at the time of conversion (or which has not been retrospectively upgraded to comply) and where less than two thirds of the flats are owner-occupied, or
  • a purpose-built flat situated in a block comprising three or more self-contained flats.

The number of persons includes all persons irrespective of age - ie babies and children are included.

If you have a HMO that requires a mandatory licence but you fail to make an application, you are committing an offence that carries a possible unlimited fine upon conviction. Alternatively, the council can issue a civil penalty up to a maximum of £30,000.

Back to top

Additional HMO licence

The Housing Act 2004 gives local authorities the power to introduce additional HMO licensing schemes, enabling them to require the licensing of HMOs that do not meet the criteria for mandatory licensing.

On 12 February 2019 Haringey Council designated the whole borough to be subject to additional HMO Licensing. The scheme became operative on 27 May 2019 and effectively extends licensing to all HMOs in the borough by requiring the licensing of HMOs occupied by three or four persons, and Section 257 HMOs.

If you have a HMO that requires an additional licence but you fail to make an application, you are committing an offence that carries a possible unlimited fine upon conviction. Alternatively, the council can issue a civil penalty up to a maximum of £30,000.

You require an Additional Licence if you have an HMO property. 

Back to top

Licence requirements

  • By holding a licence, you will need to comply with licensing conditions which will ensure the home you let out is properly managed and meets acceptable standards.
  • The licence holder must be a fit and proper person.
  • If you hold mandatory licence you will need to renew your licence at the end of the licence period.
  • If you hold an additional licence you will need to renew your licence if the licence period expires before 30 April 2024.

Back to top

Licence cost

The licensing fees have been amended and will now be taken in 2 stages.

  • A £550 fee will be paid on application, and a further £650 fee will be taken before your licence is issued.
  • The total fee for licensing an HMO is £1200.

Further charges and discounts may apply to your application. For more details, visit our HMO licensing fees and periods page.

Back to top

What if I don’t want a licensable HMO?

You can apply for a three month Temporary Exemption Notice (TEN) in the following circumstances:

  • The property is in the process of being sold.
  • The owner has given the tenants notice and the property will be sold.
  • The owner is moving into the property and it will only be occupied by the owner and their family (if any) and no more than two tenants.
  • The property is in the process of being converted into studios/flats or a commercial premises with planning and building control approvals.
  • The licence holder has died and the property is subject to probate.

When applying for a TEN, please be sure to include any evidence in support of the application. The council are not obliged to issue a TEN and the application may be refused.

Please contact us if you want to apply for a TEN.

Back to top

How to apply or renew a licence

You can apply for a new licence application or to renew your licence application if you are already registered online by clicking on the link below:

Apply for a new licence or renew a licence

Back to top


Page last updated:

April 11, 2023

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)