Empty Homes in Haringey

Empty Homes Policy

Empty Property before being brought back to useHaringey has a policy of encouraging owners of empty homes to bring them back into use. We would like to work with empty homeowners to assist them where we can with this process. We  can offer advice and guidance to anyone who has any empty home they wish to bring back into back are not sure how best to go about it.

Back to top

Environmental impact of leaving a property empty

Leaving a property empty means it can fall into disrepair, attract vandalism, crime, rubbish- dumping and Anti-Social Behavior (ASB). Properties then become a nuisance to neighbours and an eyesore within the community.
Long-term empty homes and those which become a nuisance or eyesore become a priority for the Council, to take action through the use of various enforcement powers.
The Council can issue formal notices on empty homeowners who create nuisance and or neglect their homes. Should an owner not comply with a formal notice the council may undertake Works in Default of an owner and place a charge on the property, resulting in a debt owed against the property owner. 

Back to top

Empty homes and squatting

Properties left empty for any length of time are also at risk from becoming squatted. The Sentencing & Punishment of Offenders Act 2012 section 144 changed the law with regard to the squatting of residential properties. Owners of residential (not commercial) properties no longer need to go to Court to evict squatters. 
The Police will help you to remove people from your house/flat if you can prove that you are the rightful owner. However squatters can do a substantial amount of damage in a short time and will often throw out furniture and possessions left in a property to make way for their own possessions. Keeping a property in occupation is the best way to avoid having squatters

Back to top

Financial implications on having an empty home

  • You could be receiving a rental income rather than leaving your home empty by renting on the private rental market
  • You could lease your empty home to the council and provide a resident with a much needed place to live; for further details visit the Private Sector Letting web page
  • You could have increased insurance premiums by owning an empty property
  • You are at risk of squatters who often cause huge amounts of damage to a property
  • You will have to pay full Council Tax which increases to 2 x the normal amount after 2 years, 3 x the normal amount after 5 years and 5 x the normal amount after 10 years making leaving your property an extremely expensive thing to do

Back to top

Action the council can take against empty homeowners

Long-term empty homes and those causing a nuisance will not be tolerated. Haringey has an active enforcement program for empty homes. Empty homes cause problems within neighbourhoods as they attract crime, vandalism and fly tipping. Often creating an eyesore within a road which can affect neighbouring properties and the overall neighbourhood.

Every owner should be aware of the following:

  • those who persist in not bringing empty homes back into use will be subject to the council’s empty home enforcement policy and procedures.
  • those who fail to manage their empty homes will result in the council taking enforcement action against them e.g., allowing land and foliage to become overgrown which can affect neighbouring properties or the highway, pest issues, fly tipping or security issues.
  • those who have outstanding debt on their empty homes e.g., outstanding council Tax debt, can be subject to an enforced sale. 
  • those who have a long-term empty homes that are causing a nuisance or are an eyesore may result in the Compulsory Purchase of that property.

Enforcement measures include: 

  • Service of Enforcement Notices
    Enforcement proceeding will be taken against owners if the council have to intervene to clear properties of waste and or board empty homes to prevent access. 
  • Forcing the sale of your home
    Enforced Sale is used where there is an outstanding debt on the property either through unpaid Council Tax or where the council has carried out work in default after Statutory Notices have not been complied with. The council applies to the Court for an Order of Sale and if the debt goes unpaid, this is granted. These properties are then taken possession of using a bailiff and they then go to auction.
  • Compulsory Purchase
    Compulsory Purchase Orders (CPO) are used when there is no debt on the property but where the council can satisfy the Secretary of State that the owner has made no attempt to bring their property back into use themselves. See guidance on Compulsory Purchase Orders on GOV.UK web page (external link)

Back to top

Reporting an empty home

If you would like to report an empty home in your neighbourhood or you want any further information you can do so by emailing empty.properties@haringey.gov.uk

Back to top

Case studies

Haringey Council currently has 43 properties that Council Cabinet has approved for Compulsory Purchase Orders (CPO) and 6 of these have had to be sent to the Secretary of State for confirmation of the CPO. These properties have been taken possession of by Haringey and sold onto either Housing Associations or sold on the open market to people who are in the process of renovating them to be occupied once again.

Back to top


Page last updated:

June 8, 2022

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)