Due to essential system maintenance, our Council Tax, Benefits and Landlord portals will be unavailable from Thursday 30 March, 10pm to Monday 3 April, 8am. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Help with damp and mould in your home.

Selective Property Licensing

On this page


selective licensing scheme brand imageOn 17 November 2022, our new Selective Licensing scheme came into force. The scheme will run for 5 years and aims to provide safer, well-managed housing for private renters in the areas most in need.

Through the scheme, we will work with landlords to ensure that privately-rented homes are decent and tackle any unscrupulous practices. We believe this will create a fairer, better-performing, and more reputable private rented sector for all.

All privately rented homes let to a single person, 2 people, or a single household (e.g. a family) within the Selective Licensing zone now require a selective licence.

Read the official Notice of Designation for the scheme (PDF, 500KB)

Back to top

Does my property need a Selective Licence?

Selective Licensing applies to all privately-rented homes let to a single person, 2 people or a single household (e.g. a family) in the following wards, regardless of their occupation or size:

  • Bounds Green
  • Bruce Castle
  • Harringay
  • Hermitage and Gardens
  • Noel Park
  • Northumberland Park
  • Seven Sisters
  • South Tottenham
  • St Ann's
  • Tottenham Central
  • Tottenham Hale
  • West Green
  • White Hart Lane
  • Woodside

You can use our online tool to check if your property needs a licence.

View the map of the designated area for Selective Licensing (PDF, 348KB).

Read the full list of streets covered by Selective Licensing (PDF, 812KB).

Back to top

How to apply

You can apply for a Selective Licence using our online property licensing portal. You will need to create a new user account before making a licence application. As part of this process, we will send an activation link to your email address. Please click on the link to activate your account. If you do not receive the email within a few minutes, please check your spam folder.

Apply for a Selective Licence

You will need to have the following information to hand to make an application:

  • Full contact details for the proposed licence holder (person or organisation). Licence holders must be based in the UK
  • The date of birth of the proposed licence holder if they are not an organisation
  • Details about persons and organisations with an interest in the property (such as freeholders, leaseholders, managing agents and mortgage providers). An email address or telephone number must be provided for each interested party
  • Details about the property's structure, room sizes (square metres) and amenities
  • Details about the property's health and safety measures, including the location of its smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
  • Payment card details 

You will also need to upload a copy of the following documents:

  • Energy performance certificate (EPC)
  • Electrical installation condition report (EICR)
  • Gas safety certificate (if there is a gas supply to the property)

Please contact the property licensing team if you need help applying online. You can also request a paper application form for an extra charge of £100.

Back to top

Fees and discounts

The standard fee for a selective licence is £600 for the 5-year duration of the scheme. The fee is split into 2 parts which we collect separately:

  • Part A is £350 – this covers administration costs and is due when you submit your application.
  • Part B is £250 – this covers enforcement costs and is due once your application is approved. We will not issue licences if the Part B payment is outstanding.

We aim to process applications within 90 days. This period may be longer during the scheme's first year.

We may reduce the length of a licence for incidences of severe or persistent non-compliance.

We also have a range of discounts available. You can claim these discounts in conjunction with each other.

Discount type

Eligibility criteria


How to apply?

Accredited landlord

You must be an accredited licence holder under one of the following schemes:

  • London Landlord Accreditation Scheme (LLAS) 
  • National Residential Landlords Association (NRLA) 
  • UK Association of Letting Agents (UKALA) 

Or a member of one of the following organisations: 

  • Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) 
  • Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) 
  • Safeagent

£50 off part B payment

You will need to provide your membership/registration number when applying

The discount will then be applied automatically by our online application form


Your property must have an EPC rating of C or above

£50 off part B payment

All Selective Licence applications need to be supported by an EPC

If your property’s EPC rating qualifies for the discount, our processing officers will apply it before requesting the Part B fee

Owners of buildings containing multiple self-contained flatsYou must own or manage 3 or more rented flats in the same block or building

£75.00 off part A payment (in respect of the 2nd, 3rd flats etc)

The full rate will be charged for the first flat

If eligible, please contact the Property Licensing Team before submitting your applications, so we can arrange an offline payment

Read the full  Selective Licensing fee structure (PDF, 180KB).

Back to top

Licence conditions

All privately-rented homes licenced under the scheme must comply with the set conditions for a Selective Licence. We may carry out a visit during the licence period to ensure that licence conditions are complied with. Failure to comply could result in enforcement action in accordance with our  Private Sector Housing Enforcement Policy (PDF, 140KB).

Read the full Selective Licensing conditions (PDF, 2MB)

Back to top


Some tenancies and licences to occupy a property are exempt from Selective Licensing. You can find these under The Selective Licensing of Houses (Specified Exemptions) (England) Order 2006 (external link).

Temporary exemptions

You can apply for a temporary exemption notice if steps are being taken to exempt the property from requiring a licence under Part 2 or 3 of the Housing Act 2004. Potentially eligible circumstances include:

  • the property is in the process of being sold
  • the owner has given the tenants notice and the property will be sold
  • the owner of the property is moving into the property
  • the property is in the process of being converted into a commercial premise

A temporary exemption notice will last for 3 months, and only the owner or person in control of the property can make an application. A notice can be renewed for an extra 3 months in exceptional circumstances. Should the property still require a licence after the notice expires, you must apply immediately.

Apply for a temporary exemption notice

Back to top

Key documents

Back to top

Contact us

If you have any questions about Selective Licensing or require help, please get in touch. You can email the property licensing team at propertylicensing@haringey.gov.uk.

Page last updated:

December 1, 2022