Under Occupation

  • Is your home too big for you?
  • Are you spending money on heating a large house you do not need?
  • Would you like to move to a new home?

We want to help council tenants living in large properties move to more suitably sized homes. In order to do this we offer financial incentives to move, and a dedicated council officer will make sure that you get help and support throughout. We can also advise you about alternative options such as:

Please note: tenants who move as result of Grant of Tenancy will not receive an incentive payment or help with moving.

We can also give you information about the council’s Community Good Neighbour and Sheltered Housing Schemes for the over 50’s. 

For more information please contact the Under Occupation Adviser on 020 8489 4771.

You can also visit the Mutual exchange web page.

Back to top

Benefits changes

Changes to Housing Benefit affecting under occupation tenants

From April 2013, Housing Benefit is restricted to only allow payments for:

  • Each adult couple
  • Any other person aged 16 and over
  • Two children of the same sex under the age of 16
  • Two children regardless of sex under the age of 10
  • Any other child
  • A carer, or one of a team of carers, who has a home elsewhere, who uses a spare bedroom on a regular basis to stay overnight because the claimant or their partner requires overnight care

Housing Benefit reductions for working age social housing tenants who are under-occupying their home

Reductions available:

  • 14% of housing benefit eligible rent if they are under occupying by one bedroom
  • 25% of housing benefit eligible rent if they are under occupying by two or more bedrooms

The changes will not affect the following:

  • Those over state pension credit age
  • Those in shared ownership schemes
  • Those in sheltered or supported social housing who have support services

Back to top


Attached files

Money to Move - leafletPDF 363.68 KB

Page last updated:

May 31, 2022

Tell us what you think about this page

Problem with a service?
If you have a service problem or complaint you need help with then please visit our contact pages.

Help us improve this page
If you want to make comments specifically about this page, then please answer the questions below.

* = response required

Ease of use

Overall, how easy was it to get the help you wanted today?

Service required

What was the main service you were interested in today?

Purpose of visit

What was your main purpose for coming to the website today?

Device and browser information

It will help us understand any problems if you can tell us a bit about what you are using to browse the website:

Which type of device are you using right now? (optional)
Which browser are you using? (optional)

Your comments

Please use the following space to tell us more about your visit today. 

Please note that if you want to report a problem with a council service or have a general service request, you will need to contact Customer Services directly.


Did you find what you were looking for? (optional)